Oil injection

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Eman

Oil injection

Post by Eman »

What is everyone doing with the oil injection systems? I have a 83 and no faith in the system. Right now I mix gas and run the injection but i am planning on not using the injection. Would it be good to just disconnect the cable and let it run on "idle mode" all of the time, or do people completely remove the injection

Dennis
jefflanthier

Post by jefflanthier »

Mine has nothing left. Premix 50:1
Sleds owned 1979 500cc eltigre 5000, 1981 340cc polaris cutlass, 1989 250 cc skidoo tundra, 1986 463cc skidoo formula mx, 1979 362 cc mirage(citation) 1985 543 cc vmax and a 1987 phazer
opsled

Post by opsled »

I've never had or seen an issue with them but others say they have. I've seen Vmax 540's, Exciter's, Vmax 5 and 600's, Vmax4's, etc with many thousands of miles on them that have never had an issue with an oil injection related problem. I'm sure there have been failures but I don't think it's common or something to be really concerned with. On a trail sled I would leave it hooked up and adjusted. Some move the lines to the manifold as they think it is a safer way to inject the oil. Others will completely remove it and premix. You could run it as is, run it and premix or remove it, the choice is yours and I don't think you will get 100% agreement on the issue anywhere. Personally I think the sceptics on Yamaha's oil injection method of injecting oil into the fuel line before the fuel pump is over hyped but I'm not being paid for a professional opinion on the matter or trying to sell someone a kit to fix it so what do I know. :roll: :lol:

opsled
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

I premix 40:1 with Yamaha Lube 8)
srxvmax50

injection vs no..

Post by srxvmax50 »

Over the years I 've developed a trust in Yammie's factory oil injection pumping-routing systems. Mainly because the sys. faithfully served so many original engine configurations, over so many models and years. If you are now looking at any changes to carb airflow, porting, overbore , or custom pipes whatever, then it's best to premix racing type oil with higher octane gas. Ahh, good luck to ya. MJD
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

:shock: :? sorry don't need Luck when you race a Yamaha!! Custom pipes gets you know where!! Tim Bender told me never to change pipes. I set the Vmax to what Tim Bender told me and that old max has done nothing, but haul A$$!! These old Vmax are hard to Beat! These sleds should be raced in the 500 Class. I agree if you make the Vmax a Mod use racing Gas! I had a Factory Yamaha rep tell me not to trust the oil injection! I've premixed and raced the Vmax for 17 years, and have never had a problem! :wink: