Orginal Vmax Clutch

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Eman

Orginal Vmax Clutch

Post by Eman »

Does anyone have a orginal 102 clutch sheave for a 80's Vmax. I have a brand new 102 and want to put all the new parts on the orginal sheave so the offset ect is right. Or are most the them shot with the rest of the clutch

Eman
Joe

Post by Joe »

My original 102 spider is shot.
The rest of it seems to be OK.
The repair shop got me a new 108 for the price of the spider, rebuild kit and labor to rebuild it.
He even set up the 108 for a VMX540 for the purchase price of the 108.
They come from Comet as a disassembled kit and the dealer needs to assemble them on arrival.
The dealer said he thought rebuilding them was a waste of money. "Buy a new one so you know you have all new parts and it won't need to be rebuilt next year," he said.
The 108 has run flawlessly since installation.
Installation was flawed since they sent the wrong center bolt. It was 6 mm too long and bottomed out in the crank hole before getting the right tension on the clutch hub.

I will sell my 102 for parts.What do I need to check or measure to make sure the "clutch sheave" is not worn out on this one?
Current sleds:
1986 Yamaha VMAX 540
1992 Yamaha Venture 480
1993 Yamaha Viking 540
1997 Polaris RMK 700
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

"What do I need to check or measure to make sure the "clutch sheave" is not worn out on this one?" If there is any noticeable play side to side then there is loss of performance and at this point it will wear quickly. You made the right choice with new over a rebulit clutch. The Comet 102/108's from New, are in my experience a 1000 mile clutch max even with good maintenance. The Comets are very tuneable and you can even use some Polaris parts but, will not have the life span of other clutches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Eman

Post by Eman »

I will be replacing every movable part, sheave, spider, rollers ect. What I want is the fixed sheave from an orginal 102 so the offset is correct. I have the 108 on it now and am not happy with the tuning ect on it. The 102 seems better
opsled

Re: Orginal Vmax Clutch

Post by opsled »

Eman wrote:Does anyone have a orginal 102 clutch sheave for a 80's Vmax. I have a brand new 102 and want to put all the new parts on the orginal sheave so the offset ect is right. Or are most the them shot with the rest of the clutch

Eman
Got one (OEM, NOS). PM sent.

Phil (opsled)
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
opsled

Post by opsled »

[quote="Vmax540"]Looks like a 108 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-v ... ccessories

It is a 108.