Sway Bar

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
modsingle

Sway Bar

Post by modsingle »

Has anyone ever rode a V Max with a sway bar. I bought an 1983 Max with the bar set up and was wondering if it was worth while? Who sold the sway bar back in the day or was is something off a Phazer? Thanks
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i think it was a factory option.. tho there arent too many around from what i have seen... never rode one... you could always leave it on and then disconnect it and see what effect it has
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Sway bars transfer spring pressure form the inside to the outside ski in a turn. The Vmax 540's ride suffers (I.M.O.) from springs that are already fairly stiff (Red) and even my dealer said I would not like the sway bar for general trail ridding because of this added stiffness ?

http://www.vintagevmax.com/springrates.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
tfin

Post by tfin »

I put them on every TSS sled I have had.

They do not make the front stiffer over bumps as the skis are moving together and the bar is not stopped from rotating by the chassis. The bar moves as the skis move.

It will make a big difference in cornering. It reduces body roll and helps keep the sled flat in the corners.

I also paint mine an accent color (red for 83's, blue for 84's, etc).

If someone convinces you to take it off, please send it to me!
MELROSEMAFIA

Re: Sway Bar

Post by MELROSEMAFIA »

I had one on my 84..back in the day..the cats and poo's that my riding buds rode could'nt keep up thru the twistys. I.M.O. it was well worth the extra $$$. We installed the Bender swaybar on 4-1984 Phazers...3 of those bars snapped in less than 500 miles and within 50 miles of each other. NO he would not refund the money....
tfin

Post by tfin »

What did you end up doing with the swaybar?
MELROSEMAFIA

Post by MELROSEMAFIA »

tfin wrote:What did you end up doing with the swaybar?
The oem swaybar on the v-max stayed with the sled when I sold it...The Bender bars all got pitched in the garbage...