87 max

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
87dave

87 max

Post by 87dave »

New to the board, Looks like i might need to rebuild my fuel pumps, does anyone know what size they are. Sled won't start, spark related iteams are good. Plugs are pretty wet and carbs have been off twice now and gone thru. I can see air bubbles coming up from the pumps, so i think thats my issue. Wanna order rebuild kits for them.
Vmax540

Re: 87 max

Post by Vmax540 »

Not impossible by any means, it is just I have never had to rebuild any. Loose lines, cracked lines, bad vaccum hoses to crank case or even a pickup line in tank that is loose or cracked ?http://www.mfgsupply.com/snowmobile/sno ... epair.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
mathis

Post by mathis »

The fuel pumps are Mikuni DF52. Repair kits are available from most dealers. Just rebuilt the fuel pumps on my 86 Vmax. Just make shure to take pics before taking them apart. The layout on the outlets are not the same on both.
87dave

Post by 87dave »

Thanks will let u know how it goes!
87dave

Post by 87dave »

Well this thing is kicking my butt, wasn't getting any resistance on my external coil, got a new one it reads the same as old one, 0 from ground to wire. Either i got a bad one or im doing something wrong. It sputters occasionally when pulling over. Carbs out 3 times for cleaning and float check. Top end rebuild, 125 on each side. Plugs are wet when pulling over. Tried disconnecting key and kill switch to take them out of the equation while pulling. Did not rebuild fuel pumps cause plugs where wet.
opsled

Post by opsled »

Crankcase is possibly flooded. Happens to these sleds often if the fuel shut offs are not used. Problem is worse if the rear is elevated.

I've had it happen and it takes a loooooooong time to clear them out buy just pulling the rope s try this--

. Pull the carbs and roll the pistons up one by one and look down the intake port to see if there is fuel in the cases. If so try to get it out with a pump or syringe of some sort. Pull the pipes and dump them. They could be full of fuel too. Don't use a shop vac to suck the fuel out. Could explode the vac (very bad). Get as much as possible out with suction then try blowing the rest out with compressed air. Spin it over with the rope, plugs out and ignition off until you quit getting fuel out the spark plug hole.

Install the carbs/pipes and a good dry set of plugs and see if it will fire (no choke fuel off). You may have to dry the plugs a few times to get it running. Eventually you'll need to turn the fuel on and possibly use the choke but be carful you don't flood it again.
killerklown

Post by killerklown »

So you have good consistent spark? What color is it?
87dave

Post by 87dave »

Well its been a while since working on it, checked resistance on charge coil and pulser coil both meet specs, crank case is not flooded, maybe its crank seals or cdi. Spark looks to be blue in the daylight. Still not running
killerklown

Post by killerklown »

Have you personally driven this sled prior to this?
87dave

Post by 87dave »

Bought it not running, rebuilt the top end, good compression now about 130psi. About to go out and work on it today. It started right up after rebuild and ran about a minute with no sputters, nice and smooth, the just cut out. Now it will not start
87dave

Post by 87dave »

Well double checked coils, had 50 ohms on pulser and nothing on the other (red and brown). Going to pull apart and see.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

I have coils...
Help us out ?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=585
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
87dave

Post by 87dave »

Stator was out , everything metered ok, put it back together, now it sputters when pulled over, not running. This is turning into a real head scratcher
87dave

Post by 87dave »

Metering wiring harness for shorts, the red/white wire from the stator that shouldn't give me resistance to ground should it?
killerklown

Post by killerklown »

Where are you located?