dim flickering lights common on these?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
AdrenalineJunky

dim flickering lights common on these?

Post by AdrenalineJunky »

83. I got her running today, runs awesome! I noted the motor was getting pretty hot relative to the luke warm rad and heat exchanger. I tipped the sled dramatically front to rear and back while burping the thermostat bleeder.....until no air I could notice. Still hot cyls.....so I pulled the thermostat and it then ran much more heat consistant throughout the system. I dropped the thermostat in some hot water and it did open but seemed to open just partially maybe 3/16 inch. Seems it would be enough to flow?? Also my temp gauge never moved off the pin even after running it 15 mins. I took gauge out and put a little heat to it and the needle moved up right away. Thoughts?
Also, My hood off so no headlight but the temp gauge bulb, tail, gauges were very dim with occasional flicker and very momentary brightening. I disconnected the regulator with no change. I cleaned all connections underhood with solvent and compressed air while I was putting it back together so I'm thinking those are good. Could this be the taillight wire shorting I've read about here or? Thoughts? Thanks.
Bob Vehring

Re: dim flickering lights common on these?

Post by Bob Vehring »

Temp gauge is a common problem, I was told none of them work right. I tried 2 OEM and a known good Autometer from one of my cars, none worked. When I had the engine out, it seemed to me that really water just wasn't going to flow up that tiny house very well., Nothing internal to direct it that way and a banjo fitting on the top. I simply used a "T" fitting used by cars to tap into heater hoses. They had it at local automotive speed shop. Works perfect now.
There are pictures posted of this in the "my project" section in the VooDoo Max thread along with more details, its on page 9
AdrenalineJunky

Post by AdrenalineJunky »

ok thanks Bob. That's a good idea with the hose tap. The oem design seems like it would take a long time to read and likely read low. I decided to just go with no therm as the water is flowing so much better. Due to interest in keeping this all original, I'll just leave it and not worry about its operation.

As for the flickering I found all the wires under the seat were frayed either from a mouse who used to live in the nest I found, or rubbing on tunnel. Bad news is the flickering is gone, but the light output is very low.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Dim Head light
#1 make sure your idle is ~ 1500 rpm
#2 Head light dims when braking
Use a Red LED taillight bulb http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/product ... gory_id=29
#3 Remember it is a 35 yr. old sled...

http://www.vintagevmax.com/ledbulbtest.html

P.S. I have run over ten years without a thermostat just, remember to warm it up slowly, before using W.O.T runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson