Witch carb is left which is right?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
winterthunder

Witch carb is left which is right?

Post by winterthunder »

How do I determine witch carb is left and which is right on my 86 I dont see it marked Anywhere? Previous owner had them off the sled when I picked it up. I will be checking to make sure the jets are the size they should be according to the manual. Just wondering if that’s what you guys are going with on a completely stock sled at sea level. :?: Jeff
opsled

Re: Witch carb is left which is right?

Post by opsled »

Look on the front (engine side) of the choke plunger boss of the carbs. Should be stamped 81K-00L (left side PTO carb) and 81K-00R (right side recoil side carb).

opsled

PS, The 81K is the prefix for the 86 Vmax. In other years that would be different but the 00L and 00R still designates right/left.
winterthunder

Re: Witch carb is left which is right?

Post by winterthunder »

Thanks Opsled Got it! With only 1,100 original miles on this sled I didn’t have to do much to get the engine ready to fire manly replace lines fuel/oil, clean carbs and check the specks. Now the frame/tunnel has been painted and the belly pan, hood and side panels are all in for prep and paint. Struts are recharged, bushings freed up and greased leaving only the skid rebuild and track replacement left. This is my fifth and hardest restoration so far and I just wanted to say thanks guys without the help of this great sight I’m not sure how I would have gotten the info. and parts I needed to get this far along. Soon the mighty max will be back to represent in Northern Mass. :mrgreen: Jeff