Help bleeding my new oil lines to prime the system?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
winterthunder

Help bleeding my new oil lines to prime the system?

Post by winterthunder »

I’ve run all new oil lines and now will have to prime the system . Can someone give me some help on the best way to accomplish this? Also should I run a mix with my first tank to make sure oil is mixing as it should :?:
opsled

Re: Help bleeding my new oil lines to prime the system?

Post by opsled »

There is a bleed screw on the pump next to the pump's inlet port (phillips head, faces the right side of sled). With oil in the tank and some rags stuffed under the pump remove the screw. It will allow air to escape and prime the pump. The rags will catch the oil as it purges the air from the system. Once the air bubbles stop replace the screw, spray it with some brake clean to remove the oil that as acumulated and pull out the rags. The pump is primed. Some don't do this but the pump can get air locked and not pump at all if you don't get rid of the air.

Once the pump is primed put some premix in the tank and prime the carbs. To prime the carbs close the tank filler and blow (lung pressure) into the tank's vent line. You will be able to see the fuel go through the fuel pumps and fill the carbs if the lines are clear.

The find the oil pump control cable. The adjuster is about midway. Start the engine and run it at a high idle. Pull the oil pump cable apart at the adjuster. This will extend the outer cable and put the pump in "full oil flow" mode. You will be able to see the pump pulse oil up to the Tee's between the fuel shut offs and fuel pumps. Once the oil has reached the Tee's and is pumping into the lines you're done. Just make sure the oil pump control cable is adjusted properly and you're good to go.

I don't know as it's nessessary to run a full tank of premix for break in but some like to do so. More oil also means less fuel which can also be bad so be carful here. You can acheve the same thing with the oil pump cable adjuster. All the adjuster is doing is changing the length of the outer cable. The longer it is the more oil the pump will produce.

Preaty simple,

Good Luck, opsled
winterthunder

Re: Help bleeding my new oil lines to prime the system?

Post by winterthunder »

I just printed your instructions out and will try it this weekend. You did mention the bleeder screw location before so I figured that would be the first place to start but I would have been lost after that. My tank is empty so I will premix only a gallon and remove the rest after conformation of flow thru the tees. Thanks again Phil Jeff