1989 vmax?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
81srx

1989 vmax?

Post by 81srx »

i am getting an 89 vmax, i know the guy and hes getting rid of it for 300! it needs a head gasket, and the rear suspension needs to be done, but it was set up for racing, so the light is fibreglasseed up, and there is a angle iron widening kit on it -.- i just want to know if theres anything i should be aware of with these sleds? im new to these
YAMAHA ALL THE WAY!!!!
Sleds
2001 srx 700 (bender can) :D
1998 vmax xt 600
1991 exciter 570 (bender pipe) :D
1981 srx 440
Vmax540

Re: 1989 vmax?

Post by Vmax540 »

Hello, and welcome to V.V. ! Sounds interesting, I would do a complete inspection before laying out the cash for such a sled. Many questions such as, why a blown head gasket which could be piston issues or simply a stuck 30 year old thermostat ? The angle iron widening kit definately needs to be inspected. Is the headlight useable or do you need a new hood, is the oil injection intact are all questions that may end up costing you money. As you can see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=585 the 89's as any of the Canadian models are rare and hard to find. Post some pictures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
81srx

Re: 1989 vmax?

Post by 81srx »

well the sled is my buddy's dads, and it was rebuilt and got a new comet clutch last year, when you drive it, the reservoir was full, so we parked it, we also realized it smelled like antifreeze, but the motor is okay! the oil injection is working also. the hood is okay, but i would like a new one with the flip up light. and yea, I'm definitely checking out the widening kit. but it doesn't run great, and hasn't had the carbs cleaned in at least 3 years. it barely idles, and has a bad bog. so i will be doing some work to it, but its a good deal for 350$ !! (Canadian dollars that is). also, i am looking for the original 89 decals for it

YAMAHA ALL THE WAY!!!!
Sleds
2001 srx 700 (bender can) :D
1998 vmax xt 600
1991 exciter 570 (bender pipe) :D
1981 srx 440