12VDC source

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
nytrozula

12VDC source

Post by nytrozula »

Looking for a 12 VDC source for a heated shield on a VMAX4. Any ideas?
Vmax540

Re: 12VDC source

Post by Vmax540 »

I am thinking if there is a Yellow with black stripe wire and this should 12AC or at least is on older Yamaha's usually found under the handle bar pad area. Some use the tail light wire which runs to, then under the seat.
http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/content.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I'm by no means a electricl wiz, but heres my understanding and what worked for me.
The charging system on the sled puts out 12 v AC, for some options, it needs to be 12v DC. I used ( actuly it came off my old 71 Evenrude Bob Cat) a rectifier. It is a square box about 1 1/2 inch square. It has conectors for 4 wires, the two wires that power the headlite altho I guess any wire for the tail lite, hand warmers would do, go to the tabs marked 12 v doesn't seam to matter which color goes to whitch side. Then there are two tabs marked 12v + and 12 v - which power your DC accesory.
I have 12 v neon lights under the hood, has worked well for many years and took about 10 min. to do.
I think you can get a modern version of this at any elec. supply store.
opsled

Post by opsled »

Tim on your Vmax-4 the yellow/red strip is the auxillary power wire you will find under the handle bar pad. It comes out of the stator as yellow/black but changes to yellow/red in the harness. It runs the grip and thumb warmers. Yellow out of the stator is for lights and changes to blue in the harness.

Yellow/red is the one you want to tap into for auxillary power.

opsled