now im p!&&ED

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
agfirecat

now im p!&&ED

Post by agfirecat »

I was working on my v-max and noticed the exhaust flange seal was leaking oil so off it comes snapped one of the bolts off flush in the cylinder. :evil: so now ive got a project i wasnt looking for . i drill a hole threw the bolt an get an easyout in their put some heat to it and give it a twist and wouldnt you no it that mother snapped . anyone ever have success trying to drill out an easyout ? im open for suggestions . i ruined like 3 bits trying with no luck. I do have spare cyls if i have to swap it .
chrisrider63

Re: now im p!&&ED

Post by chrisrider63 »

Sorry man we have to laugh about this together when you dont laugh you cry because I was close to crying in the shop last week. I put the 88max back together after i had the motor out and changed pistons, cylinders and gaskets. Fired it up and couldnt get it right then the crank spit out the crank seal, the carb had a skidoo needle and seat in it, and i think a few of the bearings are bad.....Its like someone threw a grenade in the thing i was pissed to say the least Oh well i have an extra bottom end laying around and other stuff i need so thats how it goes.
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Im laughing like chong did at cheech in the movie where he took like 10 hits of acid and cheech started freakin out. That sucks but what can you do. You need some type of special hardened bit to get it out or heat??
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bummer...... maybe it is time to take the cylinder to a machine shop ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

yup i believe i made myself a shit sandwich without the bread :shock: all because of a leaking exhaust manifold seal. im gonna try some cobalt bits sat hope they work if not ill be swapping out the cyl. suppose to warm up here no snow in the forcast here for the next 5 days so the 5 iches we got will probably be gone .
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

brutal.....
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

agfirecat wrote:yup i believe i made myself a shit sandwich without the bread :shock: all because of a leaking exhaust manifold seal. im gonna try some cobalt bits sat hope they work if not ill be swapping out the cyl. suppose to warm up here no snow in the forcast here for the next 5 days so the 5 iches we got will probably be gone .
That's telling it like it is...... I hope it was the exhaust manifold seal normally, they do not leak it is usually the pipe rings are gummed up and need cleaned or new springs are needed ?
opsled

Post by opsled »

I don't drill stuff like that. Never works if there is corrosion involved. Drilling a broken easy out (they suck nothin easy about them) is almost impossible.

I use a welder to get broken bolts out with nearly 100% success.

First is to clean the broken bolt with a die grinder to remove rust. A good weld is key and rust effs up a weld.

Second is to weld a cleaned washer to the broken off bolt.

Third is to tack weld a nut to the washer. (Washer first is to get a good weld between the broken bolt and something solid. Not always possible with just a nut.)

Fourth it to tap the nut lightly to loosen things up then let it cool.

Fifth is to put a wrench on the nut and try to remove. Sometimes they come right out. Sometimes you must work it back and forth with wd-40 or the like.

The heating/cooling action of the weld helps break things loose. Steel bolt in aluminum can be trouble. If you don't let it cool enough the treads can break off the aluminum and come out with the bolt. On some that I'm unsure of I will drill a small hole in the bolt before welding. This hole allows the bolt room to shrink after welding and help loosen things up.

On a cylinder like your are doing I would also stuff the exhaust port with a wet rag to keep weld spatter from hitting the pistons.

This is an old school trick I learned years ago and it has almost never failed me. The only thing I used easy outs for is removing broken brass fittings. About all they are good for.

opsled
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Opsled good post thanks !
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Damn it Phil, why did you tell me this 30 years ago???????????????????
Bob
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

good info.
Last edited by agfirecat on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastcar01

Post by fastcar01 »

A cobalt bit is not going to do anything to that tap, you'll need a carbide bit and its going to be tough, carbide bits have about no flex.
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

thanks for the info i bought the bits but didnt get in the garage this weekend. carbide huh i dont think ive seen those. i looked a whole rack of bits and didnt see any carbide.
fastcar01

Post by fastcar01 »

Yeah an easy out is really hard you need something harder than it. Carbide is your only choice really. Youll just burn anything else up.
opsled

Post by opsled »

The welding trick will probably still work with the broken east out in there. The heat from welding will also take the hardness out of it (to an extent).

Drilling by hand is going to be tough even with a carbide bit.

opsled