secondary belt height

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
fastcar01

secondary belt height

Post by fastcar01 »

I just changed the belt on my 83, the belt seems a bit tight. The top of the belt is just below the outside of the sheaves. What is the correct belt height? If it is supposed to be hgiher than the sheaves (like an AC) the belt would be way to too tight. If the way it is is normal, I think it may need another washer in the secondary (this is the first belt I chnaged on it, so it could have had one removed as the old belt wore).
Thanks
Vmax540

Re: secondary belt height

Post by Vmax540 »

With a new belt there should be 2 shims between the sheave's and a gap between the two of 2mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
fastcar01

Post by fastcar01 »

DId some reading here and figured out some things, I have a 108EXP on it. Now can this casue my problem of belt being too tight? I put that clutch on when I first got the sled and forgot about it, I was really new into sleds then. Now its time to get it right. I have the black mark as well, but always thought it was from the wrong belt or something, I guess it is the larger diameter. What is my offset is 14mm correct (I found that # on another post,) and where is the 14mm measured?
Thanks
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Did you read through all the sticky links ? Loads of info. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1506
fastcar01

Post by fastcar01 »

Yes,

Read through them all, still a bit confused.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Remember new belts even from the same MFG. can have different tolerences. What I find with the 8M6 belt and correct C.C. is the belt is even with the top of secondary or slightly below.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

With the belt off the pri., check the belt width sits correctly in the top of the sec. if not add or remove shims. When thats set right put the belt back on, if its to tight back up the engine slightly, just don't move it sideways and keep it straight
fastcar01

Post by fastcar01 »

Well I got it together and the belt sits just over the sheaves a little bit. With the sled in the sir, the track occasionaly inches a bit. This is how I set up my drag sled, I think it shoud be good as is, but I need to chekc the offset, 14mm? Is that from the back of the secondary to the inside of the primary? Where am I suppsoed to measure thast with? I have the 108EXP primary and stock seocndary.
Thanks