Clutching need help.

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
sledheadkevin

Clutching need help.

Post by sledheadkevin »

Ok I've posted befor about my 83 vmax and I finally got the thing running good but now my problem is getting the right clutch for it. I found a Polaris clutch that fit but off set was wrong so I pulled that off and got a primary off a 97 srv that my buddy had and it seems like it's not lining up either. What can I do it seems nothing is working for me and I just want to get out and ride. Please help.thanks
Bob Vehring

Re: Clutching need help.

Post by Bob Vehring »

Off set the engine to match the differnt clutch offset. Might be enough room with the mounts or you might have to slot the holes some
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

Is it way off ? what about adding or removing shims be hind the secondary?
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

why dont you just put the 102 C comet clutch on my old one had the polaris clutch set up but for trail riding i liked the stock set up for busting around farm fields and bush riding.....
sledheadkevin

Post by sledheadkevin »

So with adjusting the motor over I would need to drill the holes over some to be able to move the motor over? I'm planning some mods but I first want to get the thing to move it just kills the engine when the clutch engages and binds against the belt.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

IDK, you have to look and see how much room there is to move it in your holes now. There are slots in there from the factory, the slots are there so they can ajust it when its made. Maybe yours in the middle, maybe its to the left or to the right of center. You may or may not have to make the slots alittle bigger. As said here, maybe you can get some movement also out of the Secondary by adding or removing shims. Maybe alittle of both will get it.
You have to add up the numbers then see where your at.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Have you read the sticky....... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1506
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson