CDI Options SRX/Vmax

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Slow pro

Re: CDI Options SRX/Vmax

Post by Slow pro »

Yes the 81 is two mint to ride or race so I have two. But my race sled is almost as clean every time I go to the drags or speed runs people love the looks of the 81 srx I can't wait to a have a friendly old school race with Tony's vmax .
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Tony are the ones that are on it now the same ones that were worked on by PSI? It has been a few years sence I restored it that I don't remember if there was any porting done to it or not. I'm getting older memory fadding!!
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Count me in on that race as well I would like to line up against another 81 SRX. I'll bring my Vmax as well, sounds like fun..
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Slow pro

Post by Slow pro »

Sound like we have anough sleds for a all vmax. Srx vintage shoot out grass or maybe the white out next year. Today I look at my 88 Max and it has two cdi boxes one is on the air box do u know what that is for and will a newer stator fit in a srx flywheel housing
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

vmax-540 wrote:Tony are the ones that are on it now the same ones that were worked on by PSI? It has been a few years sence I restored it that I don't remember if there was any porting done to it or not. I'm getting older memory fadding!!
JEFF, BRUCE FROM PSI WORKED AT AAEN UP TILL I BELIEVE 1983. WHEN I FIRST FOUND MY 81 SRx (yours), I TOOK JUGS OF AND SHIPPED THEM TO BRUCE. I DO REMEMBER WHEN HE SENT THEM BACK, THERE WAS A JOB # AND MY NAME ON BACKSIDE or UNDERNEATH. I SOLD IT TO HIM THAT WAY, I DON,T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT. 3:16 (yammie tony)
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Slow Pro that CDI box on top of the air box is the control unit for the Throttle Override System. The newer Stator will fit into the SRX housing only if the housing is the updated housing. It will not fit into the housing that came on it originally. Tony I don't remember if there was anything on the jugs or not. I know when I restored it I glass beaded the Clyinders so unless it was stamped then they were probably gone from the glass beading. I will check to see if I can see any stamping or not. Maybe Mark will know.
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440

he got it from me race ready. i know he made changes. AND HEY I THINK AND (hope ) I HAVE MY VMAX STRAIT,EN OUT. SHOULD FLY. 3:16 (yammie tony)
slowpro

Post by slowpro »

I think I got them cly,s last year at boonville but the crome is peeling will check . if they work good they are worth getting redone ? Did they say tony on them or psi . To run the 87 up cdi on the srx do u have to modify the harness I have a 3 plug end for the stator but to run 8r9 box Yamaha had a four plugg adaptor and a extra wire ging to the stator But newer sator and cdi have single wire connectors should change the hole harness Or cut and splice it in . My problem has been weak spark I think is the result of my piston burn downs

I AM ALMOST SURE HE TOOK ALL MY RACE STUFF OFF THAT SLED. THOSE CYLS WORK KEN, MY LAST NAME (i think) AND A JOB # WAS STAMPED ON THEM. LIKE I SAID THAT SLED WAS PRETTY FAST. GLAD JEFF HAS IT. 3:16 (yammie tony)
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Tony Thanks man that sled still is fast, and I am glad I have it as well...Slowpro if you run the 87 CDI you also have to run the 87 Stator & flywheel as the whole ignition is different. If I were you I would make a adapter to plug into the 87 stator and plug into the wireing harness, and the same for the CDI & harness so you don't have to cut and splice. If you still have the original 81 Stator in the SRX your wiring harness should be missing the White -Green wire. When Yamaha updated to the 8R9 a wire came with the update and was added so the 8R9 CDI could work. The original stator had a internal Pulser coil( like the one in your pitcher) and the 8R9 and all Vmaxs had an external Pulser.
If those clyinders are the ones Tony is talking about is there any way you could measure the port heights and widths, I have a spair set of cylinders and if they work that good I would like to port mine to. Thanks
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Slow pro

Post by Slow pro »

U can borrow them just meet up at some show this year If Thay are not the ones I will ask mark if he still has them
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

I will be at Boonville this summer. Thanks I will bring what I need to measure them then.. Thanks Jeff..
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Slow pro .. Are you going to be at Boonville next month, and is the offer still good that you will let me copy the port specs of those cylinders? If so I would really appreciate it. I am going to be there so if you are going I could meet you someplace and check them out. Tony are you going to be there and what are you bringing ?
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Slow pro

Post by Slow pro »

I will be there Jeff mark still has the cly. Maybe he can bring them. The ones I bought of mark are not Tony's.