Need some help with oil line replacement

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
winterthunder

Need some help with oil line replacement

Post by winterthunder »

I am routing new oil lines on my 86 max starting at the reservoir. I have a shop manual and can identify the direction where they go but my question is the nozzles/nipples at the bottom of the reservoir look to be two different sizes witch isn’t identified in the book should I be running two different size lines to the oil pump? My next question there is a filter on just one of the lines prior to the pump in the book so why not a filter on both? The old lines were removed by the previous owner so I didn’t get a chance to identify any of this ahead of time. :?:
opsled

Re: Need some help with oil line replacement

Post by opsled »

The line with the filter is the supply line. The other is return. Only the supply needs to be filtered.

The supply line should go from the port on the tank that is closest to the right side (larger port) of the sled and to the port on the pump that is closest to the bleed screw (small phillips head screw).

The feed/return oil lines are the same size at the pump. The filter has two different sizes on it's ports. Small side goes to pump large to matching tank port. That short piece of line between the tank and the filter is larger than the rest.

It was probably done that way to make sure the oil flow through the filter couldn't be hooked up wrong in the field.

I don't know what you are useing for line but if you are using anything but OEM Yamaha line you will probably have leaks (been there, done that). The Yamaha oil line is more yellow in color and the fuel is pinkish. They are not made of the same stuff.

Good Luck,
opsled
winterthunder

Post by winterthunder »

Great I will definitely go with the OEM yellow and yes I was about to use fuel line. Thanks again Opsled this is the second issue you have helped me with this week and it is greatly appreciated. :D
opsled

Post by opsled »

winterthunder wrote:Great I will definitely go with the OEM yellow and yes I was about to use fuel line. Thanks again Opsled this is the second issue you have helped me with this week and it is greatly appreciated. :D
No problem, I've gotten my share of help myself over the years. Gotta give ta get (lol)

On OEM line.

Yamaha sells the stuff precut per application which can get pricy.

there a few different sizes (diameters) and types of line that they use on their sleds but other than that the lines are the same. I have found you can save money by buying the longest available piece of line for the job needed from them and just cut the lengths myself.

Different models have different length lines but the type of line is the same if the application is the same.

As an example, a fuel tank vent line is the same line as used between fuel pump and carb. One fuel tank vent line is long enough to do many carbs. The same thing with oil line.

Sleds like the Exciter 570 and Phazer had level guages in the pannel by your right knee. Those lines are long and can be long enough to do 4 or 5 lines in another application.

I'm lucky in that my dealer has been around a long time and knows all this stuff. When I need line I just tell him what type I need and to get me the longest one available. He knows other dealers may not. Any leftovers always get used somehow.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)