A thanks and a question

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Posfit

A thanks and a question

Post by Posfit »

First, thanks to Mr. Schettler for having a CDI for me (I now have spark!) BUT (everybody always has a big butt..) I couldn't get the sled to run. It would fire on the pull but only for a revolution or two (it did run once but it might have been running on basically one cylinder). Come to find out PTO side piston burnt. The lip on the exhaust side. What could cause this? Top color was black. Should I do a total rebuild or just top end? I think I know the answer but would like to have some thoughts on it. - Lou
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Re: A thanks and a question

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

LOU, THIS MACHINE IS LEAN, THATS WHY YOU TOOK THIS PISTON OUT. YOU NEED TO LOOK KNOW FARTHER THAN YOUR PICTURE. YOUR PISTON TOP IS WASHED AND THAT USUALLY MEAN RICH , BUT THATS LEAN BUD. UP YOUR JETTING. 3:16 (yammie tony)
Last edited by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Lou, You are welcome. Tony is spot on the piston top wash (clean area) at transfers should be no bigger than ~ the size of your thumb nail. Gutted air box, porting, head shaved, fuel and jetting are key factors. http://www.vintagevmax.com/reliablitity.htm I have various piston options viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1754
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Posfit

Post by Posfit »

Can't wait to see what I find with this machine - found a motor shop name etched in the side of the jug :shock: - Picked this sled up last spring and it looked stock so when I cleaned the carbs I didn't think about looking at the jets. I think I'm going to make this one my "total resto" machine since the 84 machine is my favorite. I will keep you guys informed!