Drive Axle Installation question

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
fastcar01

Drive Axle Installation question

Post by fastcar01 »

I am changing the track in my 83 V-max. I got it all line, but need to tighten up the axle. What is the procedure, when do I tighten the big nut on the end of the axle and how tight do I tighten it? DO I do it before or after setting the guide wheel spacing.
Thanks
chrisrider63

Re: Drive Axle Installation question

Post by chrisrider63 »

You need to be more clear..is the track in and you just have to tighten it? In that case tighten the track with the back bolts on the skid make them even and tighten to where theres a little play in the track i dont know the measurement for "tight but not too tight " but thats the only way i know to explain it.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Drive axle nut 85Nm or 61Ft Lbs.
Chain case drive axle bolt 48Nm or 35Ft Lbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
fastcar01

Post by fastcar01 »

I think it is the 85, thanks. I have the track in, but not the skid yet, We just put the drive axle in place, the left guide wheel and collar is still loose. Now the manual says 59mm(I believe it says 59) apart for guide wheel to drive wheel, I have the old divot in the shaft from the collar before, it seemed good, but I can measure just in case. After tightening the collar, do I first tighten the axle nut of the chain case bolt?.
Thanks