Best place to run oil injection lines to?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
PhazerMod1

Best place to run oil injection lines to?

Post by PhazerMod1 »

I have an 83 vmax 540 and the sled came premixed but i want to switch back to oil injection. I have a oil pump that came off a running 83 540 but where do i run the lines to? theres little ports coming out of the rubber carb to cylinder flanges. theres also little injection nozzles on intake ports of the cylinders. Just wondering where the best place to run the lines to would be!
Thanks
Chris
Chris Wagner
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

They came from the factory with the lines going into the fuel lines just before the fuel pumps ,but the best place is either the nipples on top of the intake port( that is where the 81 SRXs were) or nipples that go into the intake flanges. Bender Racing used to sell a conversion kit that consisted of 2 nipples that you had to drill and press into the intake flanges to hook the oil lines to, it sounds like someone already did that for you,either place is better then the original. But any of the three is better then premix..
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I have the nipples on the top of the intake ports on my '83, I was told that at some point these were new jugs. So I can just re route the lines there? and plug off the fitting in the fuel lines before the carbs. I really don't like the stock method of having to wait for the bowls to fill up with the richer oil. Anyone see a difference between the two systems?
Joe

Post by Joe »

The best place to inject the oil is into the bottom of the intake manifold and directly into the main bearings.

The problem with injecting into the top of the intake manifold is that when the engine is not running, the oil drips out of the tubes and puddles in the bottom of the crankcase. When you start the engine it runs really oily rich for a couple seconds and then really oil lean for about a minute until the oil tubes refill.

If you remember to idle the engine for three minutes each time you start the engine, any of the methods will work just fine.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

The V-Max is plagued by Yamaha's absurd method of injecting the oil into the fuel line before the fuel pumps. I have run my sled for 10 years with Benders kit without an issue. Remember Yamaha updated Most of the 83's from the black dot oil pump to the better calibrated (less oil/more fuel) Red dot version that was used until then end of production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Don

Post by Don »

I was browsing the postings and thought I could a little input here. If you are looking for oil injection nozzles, I have a source. I got this info from a local dealer. The A.. C.. Prowler use to use these types of nozzles. Last year a bought a few set for converting my vmax's over, they still carry them and work well. Not that I'm a Cat fan, but their nozzles will work.
chrisrider63

oil lines

Post by chrisrider63 »

Which way do my oil lines hook into the oil pump?? I have them marked #1 and #2 with a sharpie but it rubbed off. I couldnt find anything in the manual...