secondary clutch shims

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
dave

secondary clutch shims

Post by dave »

Hey. Cleaning up my secondary and according to the manual two 1mm shims between the sheaves should space the halves 2mm apart. (for a new belt) My clutch has 4 shims (approx. 4 mm) and the halves touch. I figure another 2-3 shims to get the correct clearance. Doesn't seem to be obvious wear on either sheave wear the shims go. Seems like a large spacer is missing , but the manual doesn't show anything. Any thoughts as to whats going on? Thanks.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Dave very interesting..... could you take a picture of the clutch apart ? I'll look a one when I get home tonight. Seems to me the halves should be very close to each other only when both shims are out ?

From E-bay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
dave

Post by dave »

Took me a while to figure out how to do this. Here a some shots of the shims, the halves put together with the 4 shims installed and the areas where the shims sit on each of the sheaves.

dave

Post by dave »

Any ideas ? Anyone?
Joe

Post by Joe »

Be patient...Answers to questions that far down in the details don't come quickly unless someone else has had to deal with it recently. I have not been into my secondary clutch since October. It might be a couple weeks until I get in there again.

I'm not going to go out and tear mine apart just so see what is in there. I will look when I have it apart because you brought up a question I have no clue to the right answer.

Be patient... Some people are on here only once a week.
dave

Post by dave »

Didn't mean to come across as wanting a answer right now. I get that it might take a while. For now I'll add a few more shims to get the 2 mil clearance. Maybe look for another clutch that I can compare it too. Later.
jipcee

Post by jipcee »

When you say "seems like a large spacer is missing" I'm not sure where you are talking about.
There should only be shims on the inside of the secondary.
The easiest way to find out how many shims you need is to take the secondary apart and put 2 shims in and slide the sheeves back together. (No need to put the helix or retainer clip on)
Hold the sheeves closed with you hand and put the belt in between the sheeves. The belt should ride even with the top of the sheeves or 1/16 of an inch above the sheeves.
Ad or remove spacers until the belt is at the desire height.
After you have determined the proper # of shims reassemble the secondary.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

There is a spacer~ 3/16" or 4mm thick and yes it should not be easily removed but, it is there and in addition to the spacers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
dave

Post by dave »

Thanks for confirming that. I thought there might be. Got the sled together this past weekend and fortunately (or unfortunately ) my belt is worn enough that it sits flush with the top of the clutch. Thanks for that tip jipcee. So I'll add hunting down a spacer to my list. Thanks again.
jipcee

Post by jipcee »

dave wrote:Thanks for confirming that. I thought there might be. Got the sled together this past weekend and fortunately (or unfortunately ) my belt is worn enough that it sits flush with the top of the clutch. Thanks for that tip jipcee. So I'll add hunting down a spacer to my list. Thanks again.
Flush with the top of the secondary (not clutch) is fine. I just would not let it go any lower.
The lower the belt sits in the secondary (at rest) the higher the gear you will start in.
If you remove 1 shim from the secondary the belt will probably ride a little above the top of the sheeves, but because the belt will be a little tighter that way, you have to watch that the sled does not want to creep forward at idle.