Jetting related to pipe orientation?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Weasel

Jetting related to pipe orientation?

Post by Weasel »

I have a good question for some of you here,, I'm the nut thats using an 83 V-Max in a minibuggy. I have flipped the pipes upside down to get them away from the suspension
links and drive components. After "jefflanthier's" post in "Main jets" I saw that the jetting was different between the two carbs. My questions are, is the jetting different because the pipes are different? One has more bends, seems to be longer and the stingers are different diameters in the I.D.. I know that many of you probably haven't seen the stingers that are inside the muffler. Will my settings be reversed cause of the pipes being upside down?

Last edited by Weasel on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vmax540

Re: Jetting related to pipe orentation?

Post by Vmax540 »

Jetting can be different because of the pipes or cooling being slightly better on one side. I doubt the jetting would be different with the pipes upside down. BTW. I would not have picked a Vmax540 engine with it's high reving, somewhat peaky power band over a fan cooled engine for a dune buggy or go-cart unless..... it's going to be run on the track ?

Weasel wrote:I have a good question for some of you here,, I'm the nut thats using an 83 V-Max in a minibuggy. I have flipped the pipes upside down to get them away from the suspension
links and drive components. After "jefflanthier's" post in "Main jets" I saw that the jetting was different between the two carbs. My questions are, is the jetting different because the pipes are different? One has more bends, seems to be longer and the stingers are different diameters in the I.D.. I know that many of you probably haven't seen the stingers that are inside the muffler. Will my settings be reversed cause of the pipes being upside down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Thanks for the response sir,, opsled said something similar about the application of this engine a while back. The buggy has a 10:1 forward-neutral and reverse gear box and was never really intended for the dunes, sand robs too much power and I knew that going in. Trouble is , I didn't know what I had when I bought the sled, tore it appart and violated it's womb,, so the damage is done in that repect. The minimal possible buggy is formost (and safe too) since learning about this engines characteristics,, I believe I can make it work,, with a ton of help from you guy's! :wink:
Thanks,
weasel