'83 Vmax finally made it to the track today

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
crwdog

'83 Vmax finally made it to the track today

Post by crwdog »

Its been a long winter with many setbacks. But finally with the help of Chuck and Brad, I finally finished my '83 vmax. Today was the first time it was out on the track. Won the '92 and older 600cc class. Entered the open mod class and was solid in second place behind a insainly fast full mod 440 twister. Pushed a bit to hard in lap 4 and found myself in the hay bailes exiting corner 4. I am fine, little sore and brused, sled needs a new windshield and some hood work. Nothing too serious and I will be back out there soon. Rummor had it that the Twister and I were hitting 71 mph in corners 3 & 4

go fast, turn left..look cool
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

Those are some nice shots of the sleds and the race. I gotta ask, is that really an Enticer 300 in the picture too? I still have my 1980 Enticer 300 (blue) that I used to drag race on the 550 foot strip. I ran a Phazer engagement spring which brought it in at about 5500 rpm. Would stand that thing up really nice if I got grip. I ran unstudded 340 cc and under class. Used to cross the finish line around 70 mph.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Cool, Super job ! ! ! You'd even make Tim Bender proud ! Tell us more !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
crwdog

Post by crwdog »

the other sled in the pic is actually a et250 with a et300 motor. I built it for my step son to cut his teeth on. Its a bit underpowered for the junior class, and REALLY underpowered when I run it in the 0-300 adult class. When I built it for him, I had a decal set made and painted it to match my '73 SR292

Thanks
Monty
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

8) crwdog Great Job and that's a nice looking Vmax you got their! I told ya you would be proud of the VMAX! These 80's Vmaxes were built way ahead of there time! It's Great when you can take a 24 year old sled and race with the new Iron! I only get to race straightline :( I wish we had oval racing, I would love to try it! crwdog Good luck the rest of the season! I wish the competition good luck because they will need it! The old Vmax will RULE :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Undertaker#13

Racing Number?

Post by Undertaker#13 »

Hey crwdog how did you choose #99 for your Racing Number? I'm a Huge Miami Dolphin Fan and Dan Marino was my Favorite player, thats why I choose Lucky number #13 for the Vmax! It's kind of funny because when I raced Stock cars everybody would ask me "How did you get stuck with that number!!
crwdog

Post by crwdog »

When I Started racing 4 years ago with a small regional 1 lunger group, they gave me about 10 open bib number to choose from. I let my step kids pick. Some asked me when i first pulled my #99 '73 SR292 on the track if I chose that number becouse that was Dick Trickles number when he raced a SR for yamaha back in '73 & '74.
If I can get the front spring rates correct, then that thing will really fly. Got the heaviest springs I have in there, but the left ski still wants to raise off the ice too much. Kinda spooky at nearly 70mph comming out of the corner

Monty
crwdog

Post by crwdog »

Vmax540 wrote:Cool, Super job ! ! ! You'd even make Tim Bender proud ! Tell us more !
thanks Chuck....
streached the front end to 40 inches; poweder coated chassis a deep jet black; custom seat; lightened stock skid; lowered front end 3 inches; Dave Delaunter did the motor with the updated porting and "additional" work; stock pipes..... I'm really excited about this sled. I need to build up my arms as its a hadful. I ended up in the bails exiting #4 trying to run down the twister simply becouse I ran out of strength. Front end is too soft as the left ski lifts hard after I hit the gas in the turns. Have to really hang my butt off the sled!!!!
Need to figure out which springs to use up fornt....got any suggestions? Think I'm using the springs I bought from you this summer. black with a red strip
Monty
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

crwdog where did you get the custom seat done? I like it 8)
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

those are very cool pics . why did they have you runnin against free air sleds were their no liquids to run against.(other than the twister)how fast on the straights was it?
srxvmax50

awesome

Post by srxvmax50 »

Awesome, keep it up. You'll get it done cause you got the "power", the mystical power of VMAX. Tuck in your joints though, they'll scrape 'em off. MJD
crwdog

Post by crwdog »

Undertaker#13....Perry Klosterbuer (seats by stitch) Tea, SD 57064. Perry is also a vintage racer along wth an uphoster. Perry is a great guy and has a fast GPX and he is now working on a SSR.
Agfirecat.... the picture take on the line was from the OPEN MOD class. ANYTHING GOES! This sled was built to run in the <600cc 1992 and older sportsman class.
Did not have our radar gun with us, but I was told our lap times put us in the 76mph average. This was on a 5/16 mile semi-banked track.
Next weekend I will have a chance to clean up the sled and take more pictures for you guys
thanks
Monty
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Monty, Keep in mind I know very little about oval raceing...... but, Would it make sense to have a stiff spring in the right and a softer rate in the left ?

(PSI at Compressed Height of) 7-1/8" 4-1/8"

Color
Black- Progressive 100 305
Gold-Straight Rate 125 320
White- Progressive 110 345
Purple- Progressive 135 390
Yellow- Straight Rate 165 410
Blue- Slightly Progressive 195 430
Black/White- Progressive 150 440
Red- Straight Rate 180 455
Green- Slightly Progressive 185 500
No Color- Straight Rate 190 535
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
crwdog

Post by crwdog »

yes Chuck, I want to run stiffer right spring. Didn't you post somewhere that the mid 90's TSS springs will interchange?

My springs are black with a red mark. Dont really know how stiff they are

Monty
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Ahhhhh..... Monty the Red- Straight Rate 180 455 and if I remember you may have a set of whites and maybe a set of straight blacks ? The mid 90's Vmax springs are the same diameter but, are ~1.5" longer and the lowest rate is higher than the 80's springs. ( see the TSS Spring chart in the Article section )

PSI at Compressed Height of) 7-1/8" 4-1/8"

Color
Black- Progressive 100 305
Gold-Straight Rate 125 320
White- Progressive 110 345
Purple- Progressive 135 390
Yellow- Straight Rate 165 410
Blue- Slightly Progressive 195 430
Black/White- Progressive 150 440
Red- Straight Rate 180 455 Green- Slightly Progressive 185 500
No Color- Straight Rate 190 535