Polaris clutch on a VMAX

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
opsled

Post by opsled »

srx1000, that setup should run real good if you can get it dialed. That larger secondary will give you lower initial gearing for a better hole shot and the overdrive of the larger primary will give you higher top speed if you have the HP to pull it. Newer Yamaha primary's will give the same effect for those that are offended by the P word.

I'm with jefflanthier, on the condemnation thing. Yamaha did have trouble with the clutch they were using on the 81 SRX so they developed a new clutch for 82 that was used on the 82 SRX and SRV. It had even more troubles than the earlier design. It was discontinued for 83 when they went to Comet. (Yamaha doesn't make Comet either) By 85 they had a clutch good enough for the SRV but for some reason they didn't use it on the Vmax. (wasn't good enough?) I guess to me if your building a show sled you should have the OEM parts on it if possible but if you are intending to ride or race it it really doesn't matter as long as what you are using works. The OEM 102 is almost impossible to find in usable condition for these sleds so if you are using a replacement 102, 108, P-85 Polaris, TRA Ski doo or any other Yamaha clutch it doesn't make any difference to me.
A friend of mine does a little drag racing with his 77 SRX. He runs a P-85, Aaen pipes, 44mm carbs, no air box and a rubber track. These can be modified to his liking without destroying their value and are easily replacable. He has all the stock 8F2 parts hanging on the wall but doesnt want to run them just so they stay in good condition. He can enjoy using the sled as is but could turn it into a OEM perfect trailer queen if and when he wants to. Being able to use something is what is the most fun so if you have a P-85 on your 540 and are having fun with it that's what's important.

opsled
jefflanthier

Post by jefflanthier »

I agree i bought this to have fun with i drive it hard depending on how i feel and if it breaks i will fix it lol I,ve been know to use parts off of something else or to make something that will work for me. I can adapt lol my buddies an awesome machinist and a very good welder which helps alot. Theres not much we cant get going on a sunday especially if its mechanical
Sleds owned 1979 500cc eltigre 5000, 1981 340cc polaris cutlass, 1989 250 cc skidoo tundra, 1986 463cc skidoo formula mx, 1979 362 cc mirage(citation) 1985 543 cc vmax and a 1987 phazer
southarisin88

it should fit

Post by southarisin88 »

I have a polaris clutch on my 1983 vmax and it seems to do fine. It engages at about 4400rpm's and seems to be alot better than the stock yamaha clutch. :D
jefflanthier

Post by jefflanthier »

i can see what improper clutching can do to a sled, I have a YPZ off a Phazer or something and a stock vmax secondary. it will only take about 1/2 throttle before it bogs the engine down. The engine runs like a top and on the stand it revs like crazy but with load on the sled it suckholes, I,m gonna try to get a different secondary by the way my secondary is about 18 lbs with a spring scale does anyone have any thoughts on a decent spring tension!!!! I,m thinking i might need more than 18 to run this b.s. clutch setup until i find suitable replacements. Any input will be appreciated
Sleds owned 1979 500cc eltigre 5000, 1981 340cc polaris cutlass, 1989 250 cc skidoo tundra, 1986 463cc skidoo formula mx, 1979 362 cc mirage(citation) 1985 543 cc vmax and a 1987 phazer
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

I have a Comet 108 EXP and a Polaris secondary on mine and it work GREAT!! I don't like the P work either but they do make a great clutch. That was one of Yamaha's weak points is there clutches. At least that is my opinion any how..
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
chrisrider63

yes

Post by chrisrider63 »

i have polaris clutches on the v-max it will pull your arms right off the bars.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

T.T.T.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

T.T.T.
modsingle

Re: Polaris clutch on a VMAX

Post by modsingle »

I have been working with clutching this year and I am using the set up that sxr1000 has pictured only with a Comet 108. I hope this information helps others get in the ball park with a lot less time then I have into my set up. I am using a Dayco Max 1105 belt that many Polaris models use. The secondary is a Yamaha YVX type but there are two differnt spline lengths in the Yamaha reverse secondaries, I am using the 8BV00 with the short internal spline. I believe the 8BV00 is the early version like 1995 model with short spline and the 8BV01 is the majority of what you see with long internal splines. The longer splines(8BV01) causes to clutch to bottom out on the splines in the jack shaft and the clutch does not slide on far enough.
As stated earlier you do need to move the engine close to the frame and fab up a new secondary holding bolt. I am running pink spring with the 43 degree helix (8BV31) in helix 3 hole 2. Primary is stock A3 weights with polaris blue spring. This set up has gotten me the best gas milage and wants to yank your arms off up to 90mph. I am going with a P85 next time since the Comet needs a rebuild in less than 1000 miles and the P85 is less weight. I have read these clutching post over and over and gained a lot of knowledge, so I hope this helps some folks out and thank you previous posters.
Last edited by modsingle on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Modsingle, Thanks this is good info. ! Clutching is key to any sled's performance and especially, true of higher revving engines like the 540.
Slow pro

Post by Slow pro »

What is the best belt to use for the wide belt conversion .