My 86 Restoration Pictures !

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
Vmax540

My 86 Restoration Pictures !

Post by Vmax540 »

Long before I bought my first new Yamaha in 1988 I had admired the lines of the Mighty V-max but, I settled for a 88 Exciter since no left over V-max 540s were to be found around Western Pa. I never, regretted buying the Exciter because it fit my riding style and provided arm-stretching torque on the trails for over 5000 Trouble free miles! While over the years I continued to watch for a 540 but, I never found one that met my picky approval.

One day I saw an 1986 540 setting outside of a local dealers repair garage, it had the snot beat out of it just like all the other 540s I find here in Pa. I've come to the conclusion that being the top of the line sled in the 80's, along with our, virtually, no snow winters they were subject to a lot of abuse!?! I asked the dealer what the story was and he told me they tore it down (not) and it needed the carbs. cleaned and a ignition coil (not) and that the guy was thinking about trading it in and the dealer said he'd then want around $1,250 -$1,500 for it with all their time and parts. I found the guys name on his registration in the seat storage and gave him a call and proceeded to offer him $900.00 cash, he didn't think one second before he said, when do you want to meet (something told me I had (Sucker) written on my forehead)! But, I didn't care I was tired of looking for a clean 540 and knew I would have to do a frame up restoration to have one that met my specifications.

After removing every bolted piece on the tunnel/frame assembly and even some riveted parts I proceeded to take the cylinder head off yep, (Sucker) there were ¼''deep score marks on the cylinder walls! After a few calls I found and bought 2 brand new cylinders and a new head from a friend of Gary's at Reichards Performance. The engine rebuild was completed with new pistons and a gasket kit with the help of Bob Snyder from Marienville, Pa. a former Yamaha Dealer and friend. The rear suspension got a complete rebuild with all new nylon bushings, shocks, hyfax, idler wheels w/bearings, track, studs and paint. The seats stitched top cover was flawless but, the sides were ripped and therefore recovered. I removed the belly pan to work the dents out and, while I had it off I added a hinged access cover to freely work on the steering, underside of engine or just to remove dropped tools or bolts (not that I ever have) that end up under the engine! I have added wide kits to Phazers, Exciters, and V-maxs and firmly believe this is the single biggest improvement to stability, ride, and handling with reduced ski lift, not to mention they look awesome! I have always used Reichards wide kits but, since I was already ordering various parts from Bender I decided to order a Bender full length cross member type.

After cutting off the strut holders, you have to drive the pipe through the frame which I personally found impossible to do with the engine mounts and welds protruding through the frame so, I ended up cutting the cross member to length for each side . After the wide kit was welded, I pressure washed, sandblasted, sanded, and cleaned the tunnel before it was painted. Next, I started the reassembly and inspected each and every part and either cleaned, polished, greased, painted or replaced anything that wasn't up to par! I've added a Comet 108c clutch, U.S.I. Performer skis, and a 1 gal. Reserve tank (behind radiator) w/shut offs from a 83 V-max and Digitron dual E.G.T./Tach. digital display everything else is stock! I took the hood and side panels to a vinyl graphics shop for the decals to be duplicated then to a paint shop and had the original paint scanned to match as close as possible.

Next, came the start of construction of my new garage and house so, that's where my restoration is after $3842.14 Yes, that's a lot to put into a old sled and Yes, I'm crazy but, all I have to do is assemble the hood w/light assembly and add the new sound insulation replace the body panels with decals and pinstripes and finally I have a New 540 that I·ve wanted since 1983! What's next? Well, Ive already accumulated most of the parts to completely rebuild another 540 and this one will have a 133" track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
03viperguy

Post by 03viperguy »

that looks amazing! keep up the good work!

Post by Guest »

Very impersive! Nice job. I was reading what you had wrote and sounds like me. I have been admiring/looking for along time now and If not this year, next year I will need to get my hands on one. Right now, I am in the proccess of a ground up build of a Vmax4. Many custom parts...Including a hand made mountain tunnel. Great job. Hope all of you guys that know these sleds inside and out are still around here when i start my project. Nice to be able to pick your brain a bit. 3ft
Traildad

nice job

Post by Traildad »

Wow, nice job. I'm new to this forum and am impressed. I'm a brand new vintage Yamaha owner. I've always dreamed of owning a V-Max but could never afford one, until now. I just bought a 1984 V-Max 540. Its heaver than I thought it would be. Does anyone know how I could lighten it up, widen the ski stance, and modify it for an inch and a quarter track? Thanks.
Undertaker#13

Re: nice job

Post by Undertaker#13 »

Traildad wrote:Wow, nice job. I'm new to this forum and am impressed. I'm a brand new vintage Yamaha owner. I've always dreamed of owning a V-Max but could never afford one, until now. I just bought a 1984 V-Max 540. Its heaver than I thought it would be. Does anyone know how I could lighten it up, widen the ski stance, and modify it for an inch and a quarter track? Thanks.
:shock: Hi Traildad welcome. Don't worry about the Vmax weight? These old sleds haul the MAIL!! I have a 1984 with 3000 miles and it's all original. I have Won many Radar Runs with MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE #13
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Traildad, "Does anyone know how I could lighten it up, widen the ski stance, and modify it for an inch and a quarter track?" Post this as a seperate question in the Garage forum. There is an "how to" in the Article's on adding a wide kit. Plastic skis, aftermarket idler wheels, custom seat, aluminum gears and aluminum cross shafts in the rear suspension are some idea's for removing weight.
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

chuck what color is your 86 it looks like its a dark burgundy color from the side veiw or is it black and what are the front struts from?
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

ttt
Last edited by agfirecat on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
91 Vmax sled

Tank behind Rad??

Post by 91 Vmax sled »

This gas tank you have built in behind your rad, how does it work? does it affect the air flow going threw your rad at all?

Thanks
Keep on Sledding, Mild to Wild
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

agfirecat wrote:chuck what color is your 86 it looks like its a dark burgundy color from the side veiw or is it black and what are the front struts from?
~10 years ago I had the local paint dealer scan my original hood and that is the color he came up with. It is a black base/clear with a small amount of red metal flake and maybe, some other like the original. I have the PPG paint mixture written down ! It all depends on the lighting and angle for what color it looks like !
Vmax540

Re: Tank behind Rad??

Post by Vmax540 »

91 Vmax sled wrote:This gas tank you have built in behind your rad, how does it work? does it affect the air flow going threw your rad at all?

Thanks
No issue's, it still allows the air to flow into the radiator. As, we all know the Vmax's have Plenty of cooling ! The aux. tank drains into the main tanks vent fitting and vents thru thru the aux. tanks cap like the Tour Buddy System (r) !