motor swap in vmax?

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
valin

motor swap in vmax?

Post by valin »

Has anyone here done a motor swap on a Vmax 540? I am considering building a bit of a project sled, but am concerned about being able to fit a case reed twin motor in that chassis. I suppose an SRX700 motor would not fit in that chassis either. I'm sure pipes would certainly be an issue. I do not have my '91 vmax yet, so I have no measurements to go by. Please let me know of your opinions and experience with this.
jipcee

Post by jipcee »

We have a 85 Phazer with a 91 Polaris 650 Triple, it was a real tight fit and frame mods hade to be made.
This summer we are going to stuff a 04 Viper triple in the Phazer and it looks like it will fit.

So, I think you should be able to fit srx triple in.
Getting the motor in and mounted and aligned will probably be the easy part compared to the cutting welding and routing of the pipes.
I think a SXR 700 would be alot easier with the single pipe and they are not that much slower than a SRX.

You are going to need a few things:
Patience
Money
Machine shop
Knowledge
and More Patience!

Good luck! Please take lots of Pictures and post'em
opsled

Post by opsled »

Never say "NEVER". Go ALLLLLL the way and build yourself an "ULTIMAX"

opsled
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

:shock: polaris engine in a Yamaha :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: Never :? :? I don't even let those things in the yard :wink: :wink:
jipcee

Post by jipcee »

Undertaker#13 wrote::shock: polaris engine in a Yamaha :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: Never :? :? I don't even let those things in the yard :wink: :wink:
Yeah, the Polaris engine is a real P.O.S. thats why we are putting in the Viper engine.

valin

Post by valin »

I will not just be putting an SRX motor in. It will be a well ported 780 big bored SRX with 38mm carbs from a MachZ that are bored to 40.5's, and I will run Jaws lakerace pipes. The motor should be in the 180 hp range, on low compression and pump fuel. It should be a fun project.
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Polaris .... Don't they make chain saws or somthing like that !!I I thought they went out of business back in the 60's OH well it sure looks pretty with those red heads on there !!!
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
vintagemuscle

Post by vintagemuscle »

thats what i'm about to start.... 81 srx/2000 srx 700. just collecting the rest of the parts then it's a go :D i'm hopin the pipes aren't too much of a pain[/img]
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

How do you get 38 mm carbs bored to 40.5 to idle?
onebun

Post by onebun »

opsled thats awsome man!!!! would love to see more pics diferent angles and such a breif description of the machine would be cool to onebun