Stator Check

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Donnie

Stator Check

Post by Donnie »

I picked up a stator to use in my '83 Vmax and need some help. The unit was untested so I am not sure if it is any good. There are six wires with female connectors ( white, white with blue, white with green, white with red, red, and purple ) and one male connector ( black )

A few questions.

Is this a stator from an '83 or is it newer?

What wire pairs do I check for resistance and what are the readings?

I would really hate to put my engine all back together and find out that the stator is no good and need to tear the motor back out.

Thanks

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

Hey, Check out the thread down the page "charge coil Crank Seal??" All the info you are looking for is there. Good luck.
Whoever said "Moderation in all things" Never won anything
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

6 wires 1983
7 wires 1984 up (extra wire is for hand warmer coil)
the spec's (ohms) for a 1986 are in the Article section.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

I checked the stator as well as I could but I am still running into trouble. First thing is that the article index and the message provided talk about a yellow/black wire. I don't have one. The closest I have is white/black. Are they the same?

Also, my brown/red combo came up at 253 ohms and the chart says it should be 25 ohms. The others seem to check out correctly. Thoughts?

Can I put this stator into my '83 Vmax without any problems?

Remember, my wire colors are
Red
Black
White
White with green
White with black
Yellow
Brown ( even though mine looks purple )

Thanks

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
opsled

Post by opsled »

Donnie if those are the color wires you have I don't think you have a Vmax stator. I don't see those colors on any of the 540 years.

The 83 book calls for the charging coil resistance to read (red to brown) 225 ohms and (red to white/red) 10 ohms , pulsar coil to read (black to white/green) 100 ohms, lighting coil to read (black to yellow) 0.22 ohms. All these readings are + or - 10% at 68 degrees F.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)
Donnie

Post by Donnie »

Thanks opsled... here's an updated set of info. The wires were so dirty that I couldn't tell what the colors were, so I cleaned them until I could actually make out the colors.

Red
White with Red tracer
White with Blue tracer
Yellow
Yellow with Black tracer
Brown

Those are all female connectors

and a Black with male connector.

The ohm readings all seem to fall into the guidelines mentioned.

Does this mean it is good???

Can I just install it, hook it to the corresponding wire colors and be ready to go?

Since I have an '83 Vmax, that leaves me with the handwarmer wire so I can install the power lead to that one now, right?

Thanks again.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
opsled

Post by opsled »

The only difference I see is the white/blue tracer wire you have. The books and stators I have are white/green tracer. If it checks out with the readings I gave you and it is a Vmax stator it should work and yes you should be able to use the yellow/black to power bar warmers. You will also need to time it.

opsled