85 vmax electrical

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
stinger440

85 vmax electrical

Post by stinger440 »

Hey everyone. I am new to the vmax world. I just picked up an 85. Its going to be my main rider this year so I am going completely through it.

The guy I got it from said it lost spark and that it was the cdi. He already had the cdi box, ecu box and airbox all removed. I have good parts to put in but I can't figure out where the electrial boxes mount. I know this is a dumb question but this thing is a different world to me.

Also there is no key switch for the machine, do I have to have one to get spark?

Thanks, going to be a lot more questions to come.
Whoever said "Moderation in all things" Never won anything
opsled

Post by opsled »

Hi Stinger, Welcome to the world of Vintage Vmax. The CDI is mounted to the bulkhead in front and below the fuel pumps. The ECU is mounted to the air box next to the coils. It will run without a key as long as the switch is unplugged from the harness.
Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

P.S. Pics are of CDI and ECU mounting.

stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

Thanks so much for the picture.

And its not that there isn't a key. There is no ignition switch there at all. So it has to be unplugged :)

The air box is out right now. I plan to leave it out, get everything plugged in and check for spark before I pull the carbs to clean them.
opsled

Post by opsled »

Sounds like you have it under control. Just remember when you get to the carbs that they are jetted differently from right to left. The power jet and power air jet should be a step richer on the left (pto) cylinder than the right. If you look at the engine side of the carbs below where the choke plunger they should be marked 80N-00L and 80N-00R. 80N means 85 Vmax, 00L is the left carb and 00R is the right. I have seen alot of them with the carbs and/or jets switched around which could cause piston siezure under the right conditions. Also remember that they should be run with the air box on as the power jets don't work very well if at all when it is off.
Good Luck, Phil (opsled)
stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

WOW i didn't realize how burried so deep. No wonder the previous owner didn't want to fix it.

Now for my other question, since I need to remove the radiator, what is the best way to drain the antifreeze? I really don't that ninja blood all over my garage floor. Thanks
opsled

Post by opsled »

You should be able to change the CDI without removing the rad. If you have the carbs off and take the bolts out of the oil tank so it can be moved out of the way you should be able to do it.
There are coolant drains on the front of each cylinder just above the exhaust flanges. If you remove the exhaust pipes and use a coffie can or something similiar you should be able to drian enough to remove the rad but there is no way of completely draining the system without making a mess.
stinger440

Post by stinger440 »

Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear. I haven't taken the carbs off yet. Still feeling out whats involved. Hope to get back to it this weekend. I love working on sleds in 90 degree weather!!!
stinger440

Update

Post by stinger440 »

Well I changed my CDI to a used one that is supposed to be good and still no spark. I tried 2 different ECU's and still no spark. I have no ignition switch so its just an open plug. Am I missing something or do I need to start ohming out coils?

Also could it still be the cdi? The one that I took out said "270" or something like that on it and the one given to me looks identical but says "408".

This is a tough sled to work on cause someone before me tore into it and its difficult to tell whats correct and whats not.

thanks everyone