Help Figuring out Registration Origin

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
HydroMax

Help Figuring out Registration Origin

Post by HydroMax »

I'm trying to find the previous owner of a 81 SRX that I have to try to figure out a way to get a title (ownership) for this sled.
I bought it years ago as a parts machine but now have aspirations of getting it going.
I have a side panel that has a registration number that I may be able to back track if I knew what state the registration was from.
Does anybody recognize this as a format from their state? I'm pretty sure I got the sled from Michigan.
That would give me a start, then maybe I could run the serial number by the registration people to get a name to contact.
Any other Ideas?
Attachments
IMG_3503 (2).jpg
1998 SRX 700
three 81 SRX's
2007 Phazer FX
2008 Phazer MTX
1995 VMAX 600
Vmax540

Re: Help Figuring out Registration Origin

Post by Vmax540 »

The 540's were never titled but, did come with a Certificate of Origin which looked like a title. In Pa. all one needs to do is have a friend write up a bill of sale which includes date, price sold, Vin# written and rubbed from tunnel with a pencil, both signatures of buyer and seller.

Bill of Sale

I Charles E Schettler sold a 1981 SRX snowmobile As Is to John Doe
For a sum of $ xxx Vin# xxx

Seller
Charles E Schettler 1-23-2015
x signature
John Doe
x signature & date
Attachments
Rubbing.jpg
Rubbing.jpg (5.8 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

In Wi. it was even easier for me. I had lost the cards for a sled. Here they just ran the number, as long as it didn't show as stolen or any liens on it, they just issued me a new card.
As with everything in Wi, much has to deal with "IF" you got a counter worker who actually wanted to help. LOL
HydroMax

Post by HydroMax »

Does anybody recognize that number as being a Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota etc number? I thought the 14- at the beginning might be a easily recognized format.
Does anybody on here have a way to run a VIN if I gave it to you?
As you guys know, it's not the 17 digit VIN but I figured I'd point that out.
I have 2 other parts sleds (81 SRX's) that I wouldn't mind finding about about too. All I have for those is the VIN's though.
Thanks for the help!!
1998 SRX 700
three 81 SRX's
2007 Phazer FX
2008 Phazer MTX
1995 VMAX 600
rminier

Post by rminier »

I live in Indiana. All of my sleds registered many years ago (79 Kawasaki, 83 Vmax) have similar numbers. I'm at work and I can't remember the exact #'s, but they were all like 14 37775 or 14 36638. I bet it was registered in Indiana at some time.
75 Sno Jet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax, 97 Ski Doo MXZ 670.
HydroMax

Post by HydroMax »

That's a start !! Awesome.
I wish there was some easier way, I basically need a reciept for that sled from the previous (actually present) owner as far as I can tell, and better yet a title, registration or ownership.
Does Indiana have any search resources for their registrations? Usually there's something to check for leins, stolen etc.
Thanks
1998 SRX 700
three 81 SRX's
2007 Phazer FX
2008 Phazer MTX
1995 VMAX 600
rminier

Post by rminier »

I would try googling "Indiana snowmobile registration," ....that will direct you to the part of the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles that issues the snowmobile registrations. Hopefully you don't run in to a PITA "bureaucrat" type person. Another place to try would be the Indiana Dept. Of Natural Resources. They might be more helpful. I doubt either place will give you the previous registered owner's name and address, but they might be willing to forward an email or letter. Good luck!
75 Sno Jet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax, 97 Ski Doo MXZ 670.
rminier

Post by rminier »

Just for your info, I took a look at my sleds registration #'s.
75 SnoJet registered around 1980....14-37775
79 Kawasaki registered around 1983....14-38153
83 Vmax registered around 1990....14-75256
So, your sled was probably registered in the late '80s.
I can't swear that no other state in the union hasn't used the 14- followed by 5 digit numbering system, but Indiana sure has. Indiana's system has since changed slightly, probably when they ran out of 5 digit #'s.
I have maintained my registrations over the years, and still use those #'s.
Did the previous owner register it just once, or renew it for a few years? The "trail" may have grown pretty cold after all these years. Certainly there weren't any email addresses back then.
As Vmax540 pointed out, I'm sure you can get your sled registered, you may have to jump through a couple of hoops....(bureaucracy")!
I just think it's cool when you can find out a little bit of the history on a vintage sled.
Happy Trails!