1984 SRV (I NEED HELP)

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
jcwineman

1984 SRV (I NEED HELP)

Post by jcwineman »

got an 84 srv from guy who could not get it running. i got it running but it backfires out the exhaust at idle or slightly off idle. went through the carb, put a diff cdi on, replaced the charge coil with a used one, put a known good muffler on, new fuel pump and filter.tried spraying carb clean around seals that i can get @. it runs hard outright though. im running out of ideas.
Vmax540

Re: 1984 SRV (I NEED HELP)

Post by Vmax540 »

Timing, cracked reed or carb boot ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
smoknbs

Post by smoknbs »

crank out time ?
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

My guess is still in the carb. theres alot more to cleaning then just spraying it down, then blowing it out. On the SRV stock carb, theres a thread on the SRV forum about having to pull out the emulsion tube, which wasn't really made to come out, some people have found the little holes in there plugged.
As a example of how hard, any of these can be to clean, I have a set of 38's that were going on my V Max. We have a sonic cleaner, I was doing something else at that bench, ran each carb through about 6 cycles, then carb clean and compressed air. While trying to get the sled dialed in, it was clear, one side was lean on the bottom end. Found one idle passage still plugged, it took a very small drill bit by hand to get the concrete crap out of it.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Also, not sure if 84 had the TORS switch, could be that
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob Vehring wrote:Also, not sure if 84 had the TORS switch, could be that
Only the 1985's on up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson