84 Vmax won't start

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
84STEALTH

84 Vmax won't start

Post by 84STEALTH »

Has spark at the new plugs, compression and is getting fuel. It won't even fire with starting fluid in the jugs. Weird. Has always been reliable and fires on 2nd pull. After last thursday's storm and riding it bogged and stalled out. Fired back up and limped it into the garage.(bog). When I went to pull it the next day, the pull starter almost busted 2 fingers and was extremely difficult to pull. Pulls fine now. Checked PSI, 135+, changed plugs, good spark, getting fuel. I am baffled. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Donnie

Re: 84 Vmax won't start

Post by Donnie »

I wonder if your stator moved and it is so far out of time that it won't fire with the current timing. I would check you timing marks. That may explain why you are still getting spark. It is just sparking at the wrong time.

Donnie
Donald L. Gilbert, Jr.
1983 Yamaha Vmax
1986 Yamaha Vmax
84STEALTH

Post by 84STEALTH »

yeah..ya'll think I'm crazy..fuel, air, spark and compression and NO start...I feel crazy :oops:
84STEALTH

Post by 84STEALTH »

Thanks Donnie..I'll check the "timing marks" ...once I figure out how to do that :oops: ..I just figured ANY spark would fire the starting fluid...thanks for responding
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Check your kill switch, key switch and wiring especially the connections on the right front bottom where they come out of the stator and hook to the wiring harness. This is a trouble spot in which the connectors tend to loosen and get oil soaked over time. Loads of posts on here about CDI's acting crazy but, not completely quitting ? Starting fluid unless, it has lubricant is not the best idea on a two stroke.

http://www.vintagevmax.com/1986_service.htm
Ignition Coil Resistance Primary/ Secondary 0.12 Ohm ± 10%/ 4.0 Kohm +/-20%
Source Coil Color Code/ Resistance
Brn~Red/ 245 Ohm +/-10%
White- Red~ Red/ 10 Ohm +/-10%

Pulsar Coil Color Code/ Resistance White- Green~ Black/ 100 Ohm +/-10%
Spark Plug Type/ Gap/ Torque NGK BR 9EV/ 0.7~0.8mm/ 2.75 m/Kg (19.9 ft/lbs)
Ignition Timing 1.6mm BTDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
84STEALTH

Post by 84STEALTH »

Thanks for the info Vmax 540. I will check those items although my kill switch was snapped off in the "on" position when I bought her 5yrs ago. I will check the connections. Yes, starting fluid is bad for 2 strokes, just a small amount to see if it would ignite. Thanks again
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I believe alto someone casn correct me if wrong, if you dos conect Bl/W down by the box, it takes all the chassis switches out of the line, I'd have a buddy ready to plug back in to kill it if needed.
Not sure if thates TORS out of the picture or not, don't have it on my 83
mrviper700

Post by mrviper700 »

if the spark plugs are soaking wet after you pull it over more then likely it has fuel in the pipes and case, thats why it was so hard to pull over. I would pop off the pipes and tip them over if fuel runs out its case flooded and it will not start till you empty it out. If so, the needle and seat are leaking in the carbs or if its left sitting up on a jackstand that model sled likes to siphon the gas into the case.
RPM-Technologies- 2 stroke engine performance
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

this sled is flooded. use those fuel shut-offs like its part of your on and off switch. these sleds will flood easy and won,t start if case is flooded. 3:16 (yammie tony)
84STEALTH

Post by 84STEALTH »

YAMMIEGOD 3:16 wrote:this sled is flooded. use those fuel shut-offs like its part of your on and off switch. these sleds will flood easy and won,t start if case is flooded. 3:16 (yammie tony)
Thanks Yammie. YES, I use the fuel shut offs after each ride, as I do know this sled floods easily. 5 years now. I may have forgotten to shut them off that thursday night. So friday morning when I pulled it and she wouldn't pull, I figured it was full of gas. Plugs were soaked too. Pulls easily now. Gonna pull the pipes off and check that. Oddity though is the thursday night ride was awesome and ran great til the bog started at the end of the ride and had to limp her into the garage. So something started when she was running. Then no start. A bit more snow coming so, I'm on it tomorrow.

Much appreciated
84STEALTH

Post by 84STEALTH »

mrviper700 wrote:if the spark plugs are soaking wet after you pull it over more then likely it has fuel in the pipes and case, thats why it was so hard to pull over. I would pop off the pipes and tip them over if fuel runs out its case flooded and it will not start till you empty it out. If so, the needle and seat are leaking in the carbs or if its left sitting up on a jackstand that model sled likes to siphon the gas into the case.
Good advice as well, much appreciated. Yes, plugs were soaked. Might have left the fuel shutoffs on. But it was only over night which usually isn't too much of a problem. Gonna pull the pipes. Thanks again.
84STEALTH

Post by 84STEALTH »

Bob Vehring wrote:I believe alto someone casn correct me if wrong, if you dos conect Bl/W down by the box, it takes all the chassis switches out of the line, I'd have a buddy ready to plug back in to kill it if needed.
Not sure if thates TORS out of the picture or not, don't have it on my 83

uhhh...not sure about this one...electrical....grrrr....I'll check it out...thank you
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

lets hope its not electrical. you might have bad coil. lets address flooding first. 3:16 (yammie tony)
84STEALTH

Post by 84STEALTH »

YAMMIEGOD 3:16 wrote:lets hope its not electrical. you might have bad coil. lets address flooding first. 3:16 (yammie tony)

oh GOD(pun intended)...pray it's not electrical...that's where dumb(me)...becomes dumber(me x 2)

Thanks
84STEALTH

Post by 84STEALTH »

Attachments
Vmax (1).jpg