1984 vmax ghost problem

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Posfit

1984 vmax ghost problem

Post by Posfit »

Hi Everyone! Got a problem that I just can't chase down. I did a total rebuild on a garage sale sled and got it put all back together. Sled will fire up and run great for a while and then just shut down. When I go to pull it, it will fire on the first revolution or so but not run. If I let it sit it will fire back up and run great! I have changed out the ignition coil and same thing. Exciter coil? CDI? I don't believe it's a ground or connection problem - checked most everything. Lighting coil works great too....

Thanks for any responses
Vmax540

Re: 1984 vmax ghost problem

Post by Vmax540 »

All electrical connections clean/tight/dry especially the ones in front/below of gear case ? Readings of coils ? Yes, I have seen CDI's that do this......

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Flooding the plugs?
rminier

Post by rminier »

Could be several things, but CDI in my '83 Vmax acted pretty crazy for awhile . Initially the motor would cut out completely for a half second, then continue running. Then I could take off and ride about a mile and engine would just stop. It would start right back up. Drove myself crazy checking fuel, air leaks, stators, coil, etc. etc. Eventually it got so bad I could barely get it to start, and it would lurch at idle or just above and quit. Finally found a used CDI on Ebay and "presto", it runs great again. Tried old CDI and it was definitely about shot. CDI's are a pain---you have to eliminate all other ignition components as the source of the problem. Then you can "substitute a known good CDI" to see if that's the problem. Yeah, right, where am I going to find one laying around? I also don't believe something I read saying "a CDI is either good or totally bad". My experience proves they can get worse over time. You checked the ground, but you might double check. I found many reputable sources that say a CDI needs a perfect ground, and that many that are replaced were not really bad.
75 Sno Jet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax, 97 Ski Doo MXZ 670.
Posfit

Post by Posfit »

Thanks everyone - I'm planning on going over all the connections one more time this weekend - and I think I will just try to find a CDI for it - If it's not that, I should have one on the shelf anyways. Will keep you posted