1983 vmax 540 completely stumped

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Chevster12

1983 vmax 540 completely stumped

Post by Chevster12 »

Hey everyone I'm new here at this site and really hoping that someone can help I'm about to burn this thing..

I have a 1983 vmax 540 the sled is in great shape for the most part but won't run right. It dose run it will idle but if you hit the throtle it will just bog and do nothing but it won't die also sometimes it will just die and you have to wait a few mins to start it again witch that is new it never did that befor, also sometimes if you feather the throttle with the track off the ground it will rev up and sound good but won't do that with a load on it.

So here's what I have done so far
Cleaned carbs at least three times also went through the fuel pumps everything looks good, new fuel lines pulse line and filter
New belt. The primary clutch isn't in the best shape but according to my dealer still alright
New needle and seats
New crank seals

Not really sure were else to look I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help I've been working on this sled for two years and have gotten no were. Thanks in advance
Vmax540

Re: 1983 vmax 540 completely stumped

Post by Vmax540 »

leaky Carb boot's, slides in correctly and seating properly, jet needles ok(?),fuel inlet needle and seats leaking and flooding crank case ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

I AGREE WITH CHUCK. I STILL THINK YOUR PROBLEM IS IN THE CARBS. RUNNING OR NOT, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SHUT YOUR FUEL SHUTOFFS '' OFF ''. 3:16 (YAMMIE TONY)
Chevster12

Post by Chevster12 »

Thanks guys but yes I have checked that time and time again all components in the barbs are new and the slides are in correctly.

I fired it up this weekend and the thing was running perfect for the first time rode it around bait and then stopped to ck things over, fired it back up and let it idle to warm up and went to hit the gas it reved a little then started to bog again and then died almost as if someone hit the kill switch when it started to bog it was almost as if it was running on one cylinder. Not sure but it seems to maybe be electrical wondering if there is way you can disconnect everything so the motor will run with out the kill switches and everything else
Chevster12

Post by Chevster12 »

Oh and the carb boots are new
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529
-No Spark/Intermitten spark
Two different circuits. One for lights, and one to the CDI for spark. Check the CDI for a single black wire. Disconnect this and see if you have spark. If so, the problem is in your kill switches, ignition switches, connections or wiring harness somewhere. If still no spark, check your CDI, Coils, or magneto. Becareful when checking for spark by disconnecting the black wire, as there will be no way to kill the engine if it happens to start.
Chevster12

Post by Chevster12 »

Tried that to, disconnected the black wire but then no start at all hook it backup and it will run like I said it will run pretty good for a bit then it wil seem like its running on one cylinder then just die but if I wait a bit it wildfire back up and run fine
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Chevster12 wrote:Tried that to, disconnected the black wire but then no start at all hook it backup and it will run like I said it will run pretty good for a bit then it wil seem like its running on one cylinder then just die but if I wait a bit it wildfire back up and run fine
I personally have seen two intermitten CDI's that would run fine for 15 minutes or so then cut out and eventually shut down until it cooled off then start back up.
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

I HAD SAME PROBLEM YEARS AGO ON A 1981 SRX I HAD. CARBS, CDI, EXTERNAL COIL ALL WERE CHANGED AND CHECKED TO KNOW LUCK. I THAN STARTED TO GET INTO STATOR. WHEN I REMOVED RECOIL I FOUND A BEARER WIRE IN MY HARNESS THAT WAS ARCING WHEN MOTOR GOT HOT . CHECK YOUR WRING HARNESS WHERE IT COMES OUT OF YOUR MOTOR. 3:16 (yammie tony)
Chevster12

Post by Chevster12 »

Thanks you guys. I'll play with it this weekend and see what I can find, I'll let you know
howsyoursrxlife

Post by howsyoursrxlife »

If this sled has been in storage for a long time, you might want to check the exhaust. It might be plugged. Also take the belt off and see if it revs up, maybe you might have a drive problem. Just my 2 cents worth.