CDI Unit Replacement

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Sledhead24

CDI Unit Replacement

Post by Sledhead24 »

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the world of VMax sleds but I recently purchased an 84 that I was told has a bad CDI unit. It came with a replacement that I was also told works. After looking under the hood I see that the unit is buried beneath the carbs. Any good tips or tricks to get at it?

Thanks!
CJ
Vmax540

Re: CDI Unit Replacement

Post by Vmax540 »

Loosen the Oil tank and lift it out of the way. I and made a harness to place the CDI in front of the Left foot well for ease of replacing and testings CDI's.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529
No Spark
Two different circuits. One for lights, and one to the CDI for spark. Check the CDI for a single black wire. Disconnect this and see if you have spark. If so, the problem is in your kill switches, ignition switches, connections or wiring harness somewhere. If still no spark, check your CDI, Coils, or magneto. Becareful when checking for spark by disconnecting the black wire, as there will be no way to kill the engine if it happens to start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Sledhead24

Re: CDI Unit Replacement

Post by Sledhead24 »

Thanks for the help. Replaced the CDI and it's running great! I'm going to relocate it also. Thanks!

CJ