exaust stingers

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Raffus

exaust stingers

Post by Raffus »

I am new to this site and love it.. I think i have read every post in the garage and did not find the answer i was looking for. I am wondering if any one has installed a set of stingers on there pipes in place of the muffler. I have a couple extra mufflers laying around so i was going to cut one apart to get the extensions to the stingers (saw on another post) so the backpressure is correct. I am not planning on running these all the time. About ten years ago some friends of mine started having a grass drag party once a year in the fall. This started with 5 sleds and now we have about 50 that show up, good times. So i would put the stingers on for a occasion like this. Any info, comments good or bad would be appreciated. thanks
Vmax540

Re: exaust stingers

Post by Vmax540 »

As you are already aware less back pressure and more noise (especially on 2 strokes) can result in less performance. I.M.O. the only way to tell would be to test side by side both with a stock silencer and a modified version or stingers. Hopefully, you find someone who has been there/done that....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

What Chuck said is right Remember the restriction is a combination of length but also ID, then add in that the can or muffler itself adds some restriction to the picture. I can't say you won't find alittle improvement, but without alot of dyno time its going to be pretty hard to dial into it. Remember also, almost all aftermarket performance pipes require changes to clutch and jetting to make the extra power so with out dyno sheets and either EGT or A/F readings there's going to be alot of guessing going on if you want to get it right.
If you read through the My Projects VooDoo Max is one of mine it had the 81 SRX pipes on it, which are higher RPM pipes, did not work well on the 540 regardless of how I clutched it.
Sounds like a lot of work to get right, if your up for that, let us know how it works out
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

im thinking he just wants it to be loud... which it certainly will be... it will probably make less horsepower and may get lean at some point in the curve so be very careful (aka dont bother hahaha)
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Any serious form of racing, anything ISR schanioned requires silencers with very exact spec,s to be used in any form of racing now days. It got to the point that it was hard to find places to race now without bothering the people around which limited where we could find good tracks. In other words, it was a problem for the whole sport

OR

You can look at the practical part, as someone now past 60 and having spent my entire life either in rock bands or on Drag strips, you really have no idea how irritating it is to either keep sayin "WHAT", or miss half of every conversation you have. That really does happen
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob Vehring wrote: Or you can look at the practical part, as someone now past 60 and having spent my entire life either in rock bands or on Drag strips, you really have no idea how irritating it is to either keep sayin "WHAT", or miss half of every conversation you have. That really does happen

Bob.......Did you say something........

:~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Ya, I said I'm having a bad night, Hows this for something weird.Over the last several weeks I decided to go thorough the clutches on both, the 81 Cat 6000 and the SRV, Cat seems good, put a 108 set up on the SRV. put it back together tonight, fire it and as I slow the track down after hitting it a few times on the stand, I see the sec. is wobbling up and down a bit. Put a dial indicator on it and its about .010 out. figure how the hell are you going to bend the shaft short of a major crash so I pull the bearing out, good fit on the shaft, bearing is tight (8000 miles on it), the only slop I find is on the outer dia of the bearing where it fits into the sled. Standard deal, a stamped in pocket in the vertical wall of the bulkhead, then a flange to capture the bearing. Start looking close, find a crack right in the center of where the bearing rides going around the inside of the pocket. About 3/4 in, then turns and comes out to the outside wall about another 1/2 in. Looks easy enough to weld, but I bet it ain't going to be fun getting it round again.
SUn we are going to a lake to work on clutching on the race sleds Its our first weekend off in 5 weeks, I really wanted to take these two along to see how there working. I have about 3 hours tomorrow then we have to go to a 120 race, I guess we'll see how it goes