intermittent no spark (long story)

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
northerngn

Re: intermittent no spark (long story)

Post by northerngn »

I have tried another cdi box and another tors module
I have also unwrapped the entire harness from the stator area back and soldered all junctions and repaired any questionable wores
Still no spark
I guess I'll try to figure out how to pull the stator and check there...
Even though it ohms out good
I'm all out of ideas and sick of this sled keeping me up at night...
NOT HAPPY!
-Dan
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

As simple as it is spark plugs are often over looked as not being a problem. Like mentioned did you try by passing the T.O.R.S. by unhooking and replugging it into itself ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Tors should be bypassed black/white to black near coil,key unhooked, stop start unhooked,no wires off of carbs...
Brand new plugs plugged into the wires laying on the heads up against headbolts...just no spark jumping
-Dan
opsled

Post by opsled »

Black/white stripe is the kill wire. If it is plugged to black anyhere you will have no spark. Black is ground.

Black/yellow strip is TORS. It needs to go to black to bypass.

opsled
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

HMM ok I'll look into that!
At this point I'm so tired of looking at wires its quite likely I may have goofed somewhere...
So in other words,When I disconnect the black wire with the white stripe at the cdi box and ohm it to ground or a black wire it should read open circ...I really hope When I go to check this I get a reading...that means I know what to fix!!!
I'll post my findings!
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

I mispoke earlier I have the black with the yellow stripe connected to a black wire...

OK get this so I unplug the black wire with the white stripe at the cdi and check for a reading to ground...
none
BUT, after I plug the wire (black with white stripe)into the cdi box and check any and all other black wires with the white stripe at any of the other connectors it has ground THRU the cdi box
BOTH cdi boxes do this
Also an item of note
Any and ALL scematics for an 1987 shows a black wire black with orange and black with white coming out of the cdi box
This is not true I have (2) 1987 (83h) cdi boxes and they both have a black wire, and black wire with a white stripe, and another black wire
These however can not be mixed up as one of the black wires is a female terminal and one is a male
I find this quite odd
I also have a 1984 cdi box...these wires are correct as per the schematic...WTF?
SO, do I have 2 cdi boxes both internally shorted to ground?
Can someone with a running 87 unplug any tors connection on the sled and tell me if (while all cdi wires are plugged in) is the black wire with a white stripe reading ground?
I work at a GM dealer and wiring is what I do but I cant do SHIT with a schematic that does not match the veh/sled being worked on...UGH! :roll:
-Dan
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Measured spark plug caps after unscrewed from wires...lot of resistance...normal? tried other caps off of running sled..still no spark...hmmm
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Have you tried the 84 CDI ?
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Vmax540 wrote:Have you tried the 84 CDI ?
Yeah, nothing
I assume it should have had spark so I am looking elsewhere
I am pulling the stator assy today!
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

good luck that is a pain.... it has to be something simple... we will find it... eventually
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

Ok stator in my hand (warm and in the house @68 deg
Reading as follows
LIGHTING COIL Yellow~ Black SPEC.25--->.35

HANDLEBAR COIL Yellow-Black~ Blk SPEC .77-->0...no wonder wires were cut!

SOURCE COIL SPEC Brn~Red 245-->249
White- Red~ Red 10-->51 (normal for 87 up)?

PULSAR COIL SPEC White- Green~ Black 100-->98

Any way to check the pickup?

-Dan
northerngn

SOMEONE DO ME A HUUUUGE FAVOR!!!!!

Post by northerngn »

PLEASE please unplug your black wire with the white stripe from your cdi box and check it (on the short cdi side)black wire with white stripe to ground
LEAVE ALL OTHER PLUGGED IN
I'm guessing youll see no reading
My cdi box reads ground...
This would mean box is on kill, hence denying me of any spark.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!!!!

Once this is verified ill be ordering a cdi box I guess
-Dan
northerngn

Post by northerngn »

OK getting closer I think I found out why the black wire with the white stripe has ground in it thru the cdi box

By pulling 1 wire at a time ground was eliminated by disconnecing the brown wire from the stator harness.

This was further verified by hooking it back up and having a higher reading to ground(ohms) on the red wire and even higher on the white wire with red stripe.

That makes total sense being the all three go through the same coil just having to pass through more windings to get there.
Maybe thats why my charge coil reads closer to 50 than 10 ohms :oops:
I guess I'll pull the stator again tomorrow( now that i know how to do it) and trace(if I can) the brown wire and find it shorted to the stator housing (only place to short out I guess)
Make sense?
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

hey guys i did some photoshop work... hopefully this makes things a little easy to see... if someone could verify that i made the wires going into the "throttle switch" and the "engine stop switch" the right colors that would be great
Attachments
color harness.jpg
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

These are from the 83-84 manual I'll try and remember to get these from my 86 box tonight.
Attachments
viewer.png
83-84.png