MOTOR IS OUT. 3:16

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

MOTOR IS OUT. 3:16

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

MY 83 VMAX WAS FLYING THIS WEEKEND AND POWER FELL OFF AND ENGINE DROPED ONE CYL. COMPRESSION SHOWED 60 psi. SLED WAS WAY TOO LEAN AND IT SQUEAKED. VERY LUCKY NO DAMAGE TO JUG. NOW, ITS TIME TO THIS RIGHT. FIRST I AM GONNA FIX LEAKING GEAR CASE. THAN I AM GOING TOTALLY OLD SCHOOL HERE WITH BACK TO PRE-MIX. 32:1 YAMA- LUBE R OIL. I HAVE A DUMMY OIL PUMP THAT WAS ALL BYPASSED, ANYBODY ELSE HERE DONE THIS. GIVE ME SOME POINTERS. 3:16 (yammie tony)
Bob Vehring

Re: MOTOR IS OUT. 3:16

Post by Bob Vehring »

Tony, most of my sleds have the oil pump disconnected, some like the SRV have been that way for 20 years. Can't say its "right" but no problems so far, I just loop a hose from the "in" to the "out". I do fill it with some oil and when ever the engine is out, I squirt some fresh oil in. I run 40-1 but have been thinking about going to 50-1. I use nothing but Amsoil Dominator and think oils like that are so much better then the old petro oils of years ago, its been plenty safe. I do use Safety wire around the hose to be sure it can't slid off.

BOB, I HAVE TO TELL YA, EVERY HOT ROD SLED YAMAHA MADE BACK THAN SHOULD OF STAYED PRE-MIX. I HAVE UPDATED PORTING TO MY 83, AND THEY HAD RICHER OIL PUMP, BUT TECH MANUAL SAYS ON A 84 BACKUP OIL PUMP WITH 50:1 PREMIX WITH THE PORTING UPDATE. ITS DONE, NOW OF CORSE THE OIL INJECTION CABLE CAN BE OMITTED FROM THROTTLE BLOCK. THANKS BOB. 3:16 (yammie tony)
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Gotta say I have never had a oil pump related problem, don't ever remember hearing of one, I just hate all the crap under the hood in the way. I can have my SRV engine on the bench in 15 min.if the clutch don't fight me, the V Max takes afew more to drain the water. Same with air boxes I know I'm breathing hotter air, jet for it. I can have the carb off in 30 sec.
opsled

Post by opsled »

I have one here that has an oil pump delete cover that replaces the pump. Bolts right on in place of the pump and seals up the tach drive. I'd have to go look again but it might have a grease fitting on it so the tach worm gear can be lubed on occasion. The old SRX's (79 and down) didn't have any ability to lube the tach drive other than what could be done when assembling and they weren't prone to failure so gutting the pump and using it as a lube resevoir like Bob said should be fine. I've done it too.

Which cylinder went down Tony? If it's the mag side it could be related to the water pump leak. Antifreeze in the gearcase will take out the spring on the mag side crankcase seal over time and the seal will leak. I've seen 540's with antifreeze in the crankcase on the mag side because of this. Can ruin crank bearings and eff up a cylinder in a hurry.

Never had issues with the oil injection system though. Problems are usually related to something else.

opsled
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bob Vehring wrote:Gotta say I have never had a oil pump related problem, don't ever remember hearing of one, I just hate all the crap under the hood in the way. I can have my SRV engine on the bench in 15 min.if the clutch don't fight me, the V Max takes afew more to drain the water. Same with air boxes I know I'm breathing hotter air, jet for it. I can have the carb off in 30 sec.
Come now..... I'll bet it takes you 15 minutes to remember where your tools are......

:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Phil, now that you brought up the pump seal thing I got a question. I never had a problem with the relatively short time I used my VM. I just got the jugs back from the plater for my big bore, new o-ring groves are cut in the head so its close to going together.. Is there a better water pump I should look for, or should I just use the one I have, so far without a leak?

Also one more question. I remember a year or two ago we had a conversation on using 108 clutches on these, My SRV always had a 102. Was thinking on going out a week ago when this storm hit, brought it in for a quick look and found a broken roller and all the arm bushing trashed. Putting a spare 108 on it now. If I remember this right, you talked about cutting something down on the sec. I can't find that post now. Right now I'm thinkin the VM will get a Polaris pri. so I will need to do this to both. I just can't remember what and where. I do have a lathe here.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Chuck, no problem with tools, there scattered out on all the benches surrounding the empty tool box :oops:

PHIL, THATS A POSSIBILITY. IT WAS MAG SIDE. YOUR HOUSING GOING BACK ON THIS . SO THAT WILL BE FIXED. EVERYTHING APART AND THE SEAL LOOKED GOOD. WHO KNOWS. IF I KEEP THE OIL PUMP, I WILL ALSO BACK UP SOME PRE-MIX. I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO PRE-MIX THOUGH. YOU HAVE ANY EXTRA OF THOSE pump covers. I HAVE A PUMP THAT WAS JUST RE LOOPED AND SEALED. WHAT YOU GUYS DO WITH THE CABLE TO THROTTLE BLOCK. I ASSUME REMOVE IT. 3:16 (yammie tony)
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I'd like to say I was neat enough and removed the whole cable so it looked nice, unfortunatly its just ty wraped to something down there to hold it out of the way
opsled

Post by opsled »

Bob, as far as waterpumps go I guess the best ones are the ones that don't leak (lol). I think there was an update on them but I'd have to look to be sure.

What was done on the secondary deal was to take some material off the back side of the helix where the snap ring is. This allows it to open farther. To much is not good so be carfull. There is a thread here someplace about it. May be in the tech stuff. Not sure.

Tony, I don't have another one of those blockoffs. I'd use a junk pump and just gut it including the cable and save the one that's on the sled in case you ever want to put it all back to stock. If you need a donor pump I probably have one laying around here somewhere I could send your way.

One other thing Tony is that if you want to test that mag seal before you split the bottom fill that side with fuel. If the seal is leaking it will show on the gearcase side mucho pronto. If no fuel comes out then the seal is doing it's job. Works on PTO seals too.

opsled

THANKS PHIL. YOUR MAG HOUSING IS GOING ON, GOOD RIDDANCE TO THAT PROBLEM. WOW, THATS REALLY BAD. I GUESS MOST 83,s DID THAT. anyways i am right on the fence i may run oil injection and pre-mix alittle back up. can you post a picture here of the oil pump hook-up to resvior for me. 3:16 (yammie tony)
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Tony Just wondering how it ran with the updated porting? Were you satisfied with it? If I remember right it acted like a totally different sled!!
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440

JEFF REALLY RUNS HARD. THINGS HAPPEN FOR REASON. SLED WILL BE DONE RIGHT NOW. 1. LOWER GEAR CASE FIXED. 2. UNDERNEATH ENGINE CLEANED. 3 SLED WILL BE REJETTED AND SOME PRE-MIX WITH FUEL. I WAS GONNA OMIT OIL INJECTION, BUT NOW I AM GONNA LEAVE IT. I HAVE SOME STUFF FOR YOU. SEE YA AT THE WHITEOUT. 3:16
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Yes sometimes things do happen for a reason. Glad you are happy with it and that you are keeping the oil injection, I know some people don't like it but they are a good unit, I haven't ever seen a motor go bad that you can really blame on the oil pump, follow Yamaha's instructions and you will be just fine. If I remember right I used to run either a 310 or 320 mains in my 83 with the update porting.Looking forward to seeing you and hopefully the sled at the Whiteout. Thanks for everything Jeff...
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440