knocking noise while riding

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
joshuavmax

knocking noise while riding

Post by joshuavmax »

I was riding my 1986 vmax 540 and a knocking
Last edited by joshuavmax on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speednutt

Re: knocking noise while riding

Post by Speednutt »

Have you put the sled on a stand to see if you can get the noise to happen that way? Might be easier to locate the noise if you can identify where it is coming from.

Could be a bad belt, could be a torn track, could be a loose drive chain or loose track. Could be a whole lot of things. If you could isolate where the noise is coming from, i bet we could help out much more.

Good luck
(2) - 87 Vmax 540
(2) - 93 Exciter SX 570
Snowmobile Toolbar
www.excitersx.com
www.racenssr.com
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Speednutt wrote:Have you put the sled on a stand to see if you can get the noise to happen that way? Might be easier to locate the noise if you can identify where it is coming from.
Could be a bad belt, could be a torn track, could be a loose drive chain or loose track. Could be a whole lot of things. If you could isolate where the noise is coming from, i bet we could help out much more.
Good luck
All good ideas ! I chased a thumping noise to finally find one missing clog on a drive belt ! PS sled needs to be in a warm garage to eliminate any ice chunks as the cause.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
joshuavmax

Post by joshuavmax »

i noticed today it gets louder as i turn. could it be loose cog wheels. and i know the belt is bad but what could make it knock.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Bearing on the drive which is where the speedometer cable goes ?
joshuavmax

Post by joshuavmax »

That seems like a logic idea
opsled

Post by opsled »

joshuavmax wrote:i noticed today it gets louder as i turn. could it be loose cog wheels. and i know the belt is bad but what could make it knock.
You keep driving it and eventually the noise will cease. Then you can drag it back home and it's location will be evident. The cost/time to repair will be much higher too so I would recomend parking it and looking it over. Start with the motor mounts and work through the drive train back to the rear wheels in the skid. Something will turn up. Speedo side drive bearing is common but the speedo almost always quits working first. Could be many things.

opsled
YAMMIEGOD 3:16

Post by YAMMIEGOD 3:16 »

MY GUESS IS BELT, OR SPEED-O BEARING. BUT TAKE YOUR SECONDARY AND MOVE IT BACK AND FORTH, IF ITS EXCESSIVE, ITS IN YOUR CHAINCASE. AND STOP RIDING THIS THING, THE NOISE WON,T GO AWAY RIDING IT. 3:16 (yammie tony)
joshuavmax

Post by joshuavmax »

Got the knocking gone it was a flat spot in the belt got a new belt and woke it right up next purchase is flat slide carburetor
opsled

Post by opsled »

joshuavmax wrote:Got the knocking gone it was a flat spot in the belt got a new belt and woke it right up next purchase is flat slide carburetor

Don't waste your $ for a flat slide on a stocker. Youw will be inviting problems much harder to solve than a flat spot on a belt.

In well tuned stock form these sleds are a blast. They can be improved on with mods but there isn't a lot of easy to do, bolt on and go improvements that will work without a lot of trial. Unless one is really experianced with this kind of stuff I'd shy away.

opsled
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

opsled wrote:
joshuavmax wrote:Got the knocking gone it was a flat spot in the belt got a new belt and woke it right up next purchase is flat slide carburetor
Don't waste your $ for a flat slide on a stocker. Youw will be inviting problems much harder to solve than a flat spot on a belt.
In well tuned stock form these sleds are a blast. They can be improved on with mods but there isn't a lot of easy to do, bolt on and go improvements that will work without a lot of trial. Unless one is really experianced with this kind of stuff I'd shy away.

opsled
Very Good advice especially if you want miles and not wrench time !