Exhaust Mods

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
87vmaxWI

Exhaust Mods

Post by 87vmaxWI »

I was wonder if anyone has done any mods to the vmax silencers to make them louder?
Bob Vehring

Re: Exhaust Mods

Post by Bob Vehring »

Don't confuse loud with fast, not the same thing
87vmaxWI

Post by 87vmaxWI »

i'm not
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Dont do anything to the exhaust, the "stock" exhaust made the most HP out of any of the pricey aftermarket pipes there are. Companies hire personnel in their marketing team to "sell" performance products to consumers to make MONEY. THe exhaust is a tunned portion of the engine that shouldnt be tampered with especially on the v-max.
87vmaxWI

Post by 87vmaxWI »

i just want it to be louder
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

87vmaxWI wrote:i just want it to be louder
If you have ever been standing along the trail when a 540 goes by you would be pleased since, they have a sound all their own and IMO are second only to a triple. Like Chris said see http://www.vintagevmax.com/pipe_test.htm Besides loud pipes give land owners an excuse to complain and sometimes shut trails ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Just out of curiosity why do you want it louder?
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Maybe he wants to piss someone off.... I like what Bob said dont confuse loud with fast. My exciter SX sounds like a 440 exciter but man sure doesnt take off like one.
87vmaxWI

Post by 87vmaxWI »

i dont want to mod the pipe just the silencer

To Chrisrider63 i have a 79 exciter 440
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

The question still is why?
You say you understand the differance between noise and HP. As people have said here, look up this sled, on New England Dyno, it makes its best power with the stock set up, check it on Dyno tech, ask someone like me that has other pipes, stock is the best your going to find.
The can is designed as part of the pipes. It controls the amount of backpressure the engine sees. If you gut it, or if you drill out holes, your going to change all that. If you want the best exaust set up for this sled, you allready have it. If you just want to make more noise, all you do is piss of landowners.
I'm not tryin to give you a hard time, I'm just trying to figure out what you are after
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Bob is right , i like having the v-max and its stock sound go past all the guys with there expensive aftermarket crap that doesnt work as well. And good stuff on the 79 exciter i love my dads i had so much fun trail riding it this year.