Bought a 1988 v-max 540

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
chrisrider63

Bought a 1988 v-max 540

Post by chrisrider63 »

Traded the 86 for an 88 MAX, are these things rare??? I checked the VIN and its a 88 but i think its a 83 motor in it, it has the 81 SRX-v-max 540 style connectors for the stator in it.
tyler440

Re: Bought a 1988 v-max 540

Post by tyler440 »

if it is an 88 it must be from canada, oh wait YOU are from canada i believe... yeah we dont see many 87's and anything newer is even more rare... not they arent out there, generally there are more of the older... make sure you give chuck the win so he can tally it... whats the number on the motor also
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

tyler440 wrote:if it is an 88 it must be from canada, oh wait YOU are from canada i believe... yeah we dont see many 87's and anything newer is even more rare... not they arent out there, generally there are more of the older... make sure you give chuck the win so he can tally it... whats the number on the motor also
Chris, show us pictures and PM me the vin# ! Thanks Chuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Ya sorry guys ive been working on it trying to get it to fire in the mag side cylinder it has lots of spark, gas going to the carb but it has a one fuel pump setup on the right side. Could the pump be leaking down into the case and flooding the case? Someone took the fuel shut off system off also. I dont know why people screw with good engineering seriously... But when i spray either down the cylinder it does fire a bit. COmpression is good and pistons look great i may have a bad stator or something or CDI??
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

I am from the Great White North Tyler man i wanna get this thing going and take some pics of it. Dont like the red hood but were making it all stock again, It will be sharp. How was the oval race Ty?? That must have been a ton of fun!!
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

chrisrider63 wrote:Ya sorry guys ive been working on it trying to get it to fire in the mag side cylinder it has lots of spark, gas going to the carb but it has a one fuel pump setup on the right side. Could the pump be leaking down into the case and flooding the case? Someone took the fuel shut off system off also. I dont know why people screw with good engineering seriously... But when i spray either down the cylinder it does fire a bit. COmpression is good and pistons look great i may have a bad stator or something or CDI??
Either..... Ouch...... this washes oil off of 2 stroke cylinders, bearings.....Bad idea.....
"Could the pump be leaking down into the case and flooding the case" Certainly... is there a spray of gas from that cylinder with the plug out and fuel in the pipe when taken off and dumped ?
" bad stator or something or CDI" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1917 did you check the coil resistances ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

this is how racing went... its starts a couple posts from the top... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1887&start=30

could be lots of things really.... you just need to starting checking off the list...

1) ___ Compression?
2) ___ Fuel?
3) ___ Spark?
4) ___ Too Much Fuel?
5) ___ Is the Spark at the right time?
6) ___ Is it your day?
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Is this is true Tyler i just want the quick answer!!! LOL i think its a spark issue the last guy spilt oil on the wires and didnt fire proper after that, also i guess it goes up to 40mph and then quits also sounds like a spark issue or CDI??
chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

See im thinking its the fuel pump because if i put either into the cylinder it fires for a few seconds and goes down again. Also the shut off valves were taken off i dont know why so maybe its just a matter of getting it unflooded in the right side. Or the fuel pump is leaking into the cylinder.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

well im not sure there is a quick answer... these sleds run great when everything is in proper alignment... otherwise they suck! thats becoming more and more apparent as i work on different stuff... i mean you can take a honda engine throw a handful of sawdust in it, run it off a cliff and it will still run... somethings are just more picky and these 1980's electronics are one of them... with almost everyone of these sleds someone has "made it better" by one means or another... they are best in stock form so that everyone is on the same page when it comes to troubleshooting....

you problem could be any number of things thats why i made a list... im actually thinking of starting sticky with a flowchart of troubleshooting steps it might be really helpfull for everyone...

chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

If only people knew how awesome these things run stock and would just leave them the FFFF!!!!! alone it would make my life alot easier now. THis guy took the fuel shut off valves off and did a few other goof things on it. Oh well ill get it back stock.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

they fuel shuts off may have broke on him, but im sure their are other things thats make NO sense

chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

Like the firetruck red hood and seat?? LOL.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

LOL yeah! is that why you havent posted and pictures of it yet?

chrisrider63

Post by chrisrider63 »

No i dont care, i havent had a lot of time to work on it im studying for school and i need it running to have pics of it.