Dim headlight.

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
rlester

Dim headlight.

Post by rlester »

Hey guys,

On my stock 81 SRX 440 the headlight is very dim for about two or three minutes and then it brightens up to normal brightness. I'm suspecting a bad ground, before I move the wifes car out of the garage to take a look at it, where are the grounds for the headlight?

I also opened and closed the headlight and that didn't make a difference. Just driving it made it better. The brakelight and taillight are flickering a bit before the light fixes itself. It has a brand new lighting coil installed in it last year.

Thoughts?
81 SRX 440
96 Touring SLE 500
90 Wildcat 650
74 Lynx I 292
72 Nordic 440 (SOLD)
Bob Vehring

Re: Dim headlight.

Post by Bob Vehring »

Sometimes the wire going under the seat to the tail light wears through causing a small short at times. I would go with the bad ground first, but......
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

VERY good point bob, we looked and looked for that exact problem on a srv once... replaced the regulator, cleaned this connection, taped that... it turned out it was under the seat.... as far as the headlight ground i believe it is in the front left corner of the belly pan
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
rlester

Post by rlester »

Totally forgot to update this as to what fixed the problem. All the grounds were good. It turned out to be in the switch at the headlight. When you open the headlight, the switch is supposed to complete the circuit. I just opened and closed the headlight while the engine was running. Did this about 20 times, and the light started working about the third time I did it.

Its been several months since then, and the headlight has been working flawlessly since.
81 SRX 440
96 Touring SLE 500
90 Wildcat 650
74 Lynx I 292
72 Nordic 440 (SOLD)