seat protection

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Vmxhunter

seat protection

Post by Vmxhunter »

What are you guys useing on your seats to keep them soft? And from cracking? I just put a good used seat on my 86 vmax. And I would like to keep it in this condition. As long as I can.

BTW...I would like to get something. That's NOT slipery as hell.....Armor All is NOT a good choice!!! I found that out the hard way years ago, when I was 16. On my old 74 arctic cat Cheetah seat. It sure made going around those corners interesting!!! :shock:
Vmax540

Re: seat protection

Post by Vmax540 »

Good question ! I believe the #1 to do is to keep it out of the elements whenever possible and especially, sunlight. B.T.W. did you put a coat of linsead oil on the bottom plywood many a seats, been runied when the plywood rots, staples pull and seat cover shrinks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

Oh ya...I sealed that wood real good before I had the seat put on. It's water tight now. The sled is in the garage all the time now. Unless I'm out on the trails with it. But, I have seen seats crack from getting dried out. Even sitting in a garage or shed.
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

meguiars vynle protectant works really well and u can wipe most of the product off leaving no film and a great shine
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

Well I found a different Armor All formula when I was at Fleet Farm Friday. It's Sillicone free. So, It shouldn't be slippery. I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't work. I'll look into that Meguiers protectant.
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

yeah let me know how the stuff you get works.
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

Well I looked at those seats today (I washed and wiped on that Armor All on Sunday). I did my sled. And the SRV the boy rides. And both seats look great!! And they are NOT slippery!!! So, this stuff looks like a winner. The only question now is. How often am I going to have to re-apply it each year. To keep the seat covers soft. And avoid cracking. I guess I'll find out as the months go on this season.