Finally...one for myself

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
MAPEX

Finally...one for myself

Post by MAPEX »

Well everyone,

I know its the midst of summer and motorcycle weather but I'm finally getting back into the garage to work on a new project. Well, new in the sense I haven't worked on it yet, I've had an 81 SRX sitting in the garage and trailer for a long time now and just haven't had the chance to get to work on it since I was doing other projects and helping others get their sleds goin, but FINALLY I can get to work on this project and the best part is that this lucky lady is mine to keep. The last 2 SRX's I've done I've ended up selling after or just doing the hard part for someone else...It's pretty much stock and all there from what I can see but everyone knows how that goes once you start tearing it apart. but either way I'm pretty pumped to finally getting into one for myself and I plan on this one being a vintage show rider so it will definitely get some miles on it once its done....I know its summer and most people won't read this but I figured I'd throw it out there just to see who's still looking at this forum other than me!!!!

Mike
Sleds:
2007 Yamaha Apex RTX
2 - 1981 Yamaha SRX 440's
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

im still here... let us know what you run into... i still stop by here at least 1 time every weekday morning (usually more)
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Mike good luck with the 81, let us know if we can help in any way and keep us updated ! Later Chuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
tfin

Post by tfin »

Are you going to stay with the 440 or are you going to make it a 540?
MAPEX

Post by MAPEX »

I'm planning on staying with the 440, I like the idea of keeping it as close to original as I can. I think making it into a 540 would lose some of the uniqueness the 81 had, especially if I get it all tuned in right. I kept my other 81's stock 440's and had no problems so I don't see any reason why I should stray away on this one. That is of course, unless I tear the engine down and find that its unsalvageable or what not. Then it will probably become a 540 unless I find a replace 440 engine for it. That however, won't be seen for some time yet sinc eI'm just getting into the tear down stage and haven't even got the motor out of the sled yet. I'll keep you all posted as I get into and get soem pictures of it up for discussion. Thanks

Mike
Sleds:
2007 Yamaha Apex RTX
2 - 1981 Yamaha SRX 440's