'2010 race season '83 vmax pics

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

With well over 20 years doing both big and small races, from what I see most all small races, be it drag, radar run or ovals come up with there own rule structure to fit the people they hope to draw. Lets face it, if you enforced ISR class rules at most any local race, 3 things would happen. First, most wouldn't pass even the safety tech. next if you tore down the top 5 in each class for tech, most don't have the knowledge or the tools to tear down their engine, so the end result would be number 3. Next year no one would be at that race, it wouldn't exist anymore because not enough people are serious racers, their trail people looking to just have some fun.
If your serious about racing, there plenty of big series going on and you know and aspect to deal with all the rules and tech.
When it gets down to vintage sleds, I don't see a problem with the P85 clutch, basically the same thing, uses the same parts as a Comet and is easy and cheap for anyone to find. If we get to strict on OEM parts on vintage sleds, suddenly no one has them and can race
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

Bob Vehring trust me, I get teched hard :!: I even get asked ,what I am running for fuel :!: Also the tech shack '' Yup been their before and the tech found nothing :wink: BONE STOCK! 8)
chrisrider63

re

Post by chrisrider63 »

I didnt reply i was at school today, but i didnt put these clutches on the max it came that way. Last year when i didnt know anything about the clutches i was gonna take them off because i didnt like the polaris name on there and didnt know the performance difference they could make until tyler stopped me from pulling them off and IM SO GLAD HE DID LOL. I rode a v-max that had stock clutches on it that I tuned up and it wasnt as peppy.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Don't take me wrong on tech, in our world teched hard means your holding your crank in one hand and your piston in the other. My only point is while that's expected at a big level race, at a local race, no one would ever come back.
On the clutch thing, a 102, 108, and P85 al use exactly the same tuning parts. assuming the bushings are good in all of them you should be able to get the same results. The only advantage I would see is if someone has the right sec. and set up to take advantage of the overdrive style.
Undertaker#13

factory 1984 update

Post by Undertaker#13 »

ok I'm interested in doing the 84 factory porting update! Like I asked how much in mph would you gain from this factory update porting.Also being a factory up date would it pull you out of the stock class? YES or NO! I need MORE speed out of the old VMAX :wink:
chrisrider63

re; clutch

Post by chrisrider63 »

Yes it has the secondary on also
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

chrisrider63 I don't let the P!! word in the yard :roll: :roll: I have found a place for them :lol: :lol: :wink:
Image It is called a polar-pig tree :P
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

If your asking me, I can't really answer. I haven't got my VM sorted out to the point where I'm happy with it and I'm not looking to make it a top end engine.

On engines I have built in the past for racing, certainly porting helps, how much depends of the design of the stock porting to begin with from the factory.
Porting is not simply going in with an air grinder and removing material, if you notice on the '86 update porting, there is a notation that the rear transfers must be altered EXACTLY as spec'ed to make the HP gain. This is because its about changing the angle the rear transfers direct the flow, not simply more flow. The notes clearly say you will not get the HP unless this is done right, and its a hard change to do right. You will need something like Foredom 90 deg tools to get in there and get it right
I have a friend that raced these engines back in the 80's, today he builds race engines for the oval series.. His feeling is these engines are over ported from the factory. He welds the ports up and lowers them. I raced against him in those days,his engines seldom got beat.
In other engines I built for our race sled, I definitely made more HP with bigger porting, it also took pipes designed for higher RPMS , usually more carb and deffinatly clutching to get to those HP gains. Those gains also did not simply come from cleaning up the ports, both my SRV and my '76 Rupp have extra transfer ports add into them and reed cages altered.
On my current VM jugs I had to port it, mostly to clean up someone elses mess, I haven't had it on a dyno and I don't race it, it may have slightly more top end, but I'd hardly call it snappy on anything below 7000.
I'm thinking something totally different for next year
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Hay undertaker.. I had used the updated porting back in the 80's when I ran this sled every day,it is good for about 4-5 MPH on the top end on good ice. As you know the Vmax isn't all that fast in fresh snow so it made a bigger difference there. It also felt quicker on acceleration even though the dyno said it robbed a little power off the bottom,must be the clutching changes improved the bottom end. As far as the Legal aspect of it in racing I guess that would be up to the Racing Organization to decide. But then again we all know that EVERYBODY is running stock stuff right.
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

Hey vmax-540 thanks for the info. I have to agree with crwdog, I hate to say but the 501- 600 multi class is getting very tough to compete in. The VMAX just isn't fast enough and doesn't have enough HP :roll: :roll: The Improve 501-600 multi class is running speeds of 113mph in 1000 ft! That's way to fast for a stock VMAX :?
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

You are right.. Even Mohamed Ali got old... maybe it is time to put the Vmax to rest and just enjoy trail riding it like the rest of us oldtimers!!

:cry:
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

you guys give up to easy, if the class says you can be up to 600, ya need bigger pistons :P
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

:wink: If I'm going down it is going to be with guns blazen :P :P FEAR THIS!!!!!

SRX500F82

Re: factory 1984 update

Post by SRX500F82 »

Undertaker#13 wrote:ok I'm interested in doing the 84 factory porting update! Like I asked how much in mph would you gain from this factory update porting.Also being a factory up date would it pull you out of the stock class? YES or NO! I need MORE speed out of the old VMAX :wink:
If you can find or help with the SRX 500 Porting specs. And find a set of 500 #8R9 Pipes. Then you can spin the motor to 9000 RPM. That will make a lot of more HP over Vmax update porting specs and atleast 10MPH increase
chrisrider63

Re;

Post by chrisrider63 »

Finding a SRX 500 would be hard/expensive to find, what about using a 1981 SRX 440 with the phazer skid (which agricat) told me is lighter. When considering horsepower gain you must consider dropping weight whereever possible, the 440 is a little lighter. Also if you wanna get serious keeping your own body as lean as possible helps also, even the nascar guys are cutting weight before races for goodness sake.