'2010 race season '83 vmax pics

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
crwdog

'2010 race season '83 vmax pics

Post by crwdog »

Ok, just a little update on this season. It’s been a struggle and I have been disappointed in my results, but I guess that just leaves room for improvement. I have found the reasons for my motor meltdowns last season and that was fixed in the summer. Since the motor was out, I sent it out for some more work. Nice motor work and I'm running upper 90hp with stock pipes and 38mm carbs. But I am now fighting clutching and chassis issues.... Can you believe I've actually bent two right side struts !
Anyhow, I've been able to pull a 2nd, (3) 3rd's (2) 4th's at this point. Only a few weeks left in the season

Enjoy the pics

go fast, turn left..look cool
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Simply awesome...... ! Keep the updates comming. B.T.W. when you widened did you double up by using an inner and outter extension ? There is a lot of leverage/force when you widen them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
crwdog

Post by crwdog »

I am not bending the cross member - it is the strut itself that is bending. After I bent the 1st one, I had my saddles machined larger to assept the larger diameter 89+ struts. So far this year I have bent only the right side. Last year I bent botht the right and left sides. This summer I am reworking the cross member and strut mounts. Going to offest the front end 1" to the right, and then add a degree or so of camber to both sides
crwdog

Post by crwdog »

There is also a rumor floating around that my current class: pre '92 600cc trail sled may be bumped up to pre'99 600cc trail sled. If that happens, maybe I need to sell off this rocket ship and look for a '98 SRX600 !
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

crwdog wrote:There is also a rumor floating around that my current class: pre '92 600cc trail sled may be bumped up to pre'99 600cc trail sled. If that happens, maybe I need to sell off this rocket ship and look for a '98 SRX600 !
That would take the Vintage/Fun out of racing would it not ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Undertaker#13

vintage racing

Post by Undertaker#13 »

The class rules doesn't give the old VMAX much of a chance these days! 501- 600 multi pipe class is a little unfair for a 26 year old sled! I will never give up racing the old iron :wink: If they put the VMAX in the 500 cc class, the new iron will never catch it.It seems the way they make the class list today, they don't want the old iron racing :roll: :roll: :roll: 2010 , I still won five 1st place trophy's with a 26 year old VMAX 8) :mrgreen:

remember old yamaha's never die, they just go FASTER 8)
Undertaker#13

84 factory porting update

Post by Undertaker#13 »

crwdog, did you do the factory port update to your VMAX :?: Has anybody done the factory port update? If so how much more speed did you gain, so is it worth it or not? I would like to gain about 6 more mph. I'm thinking about putting new rings in the old VMAX, it has alittle over 3100 miles and the engine has never been touched in 19 years.Let me know what you guy's think :idea:
chrisrider63

Re.

Post by chrisrider63 »

The update porting claims to add 15 hp , I have a stock max with polaris clutches when they are fresh I can ride with 700 srx's and mach's easy on the trail..
Undertaker#13

porting update

Post by Undertaker#13 »

The big question is will a factory update porting still allow you to run in the stock class?
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

chrisrider63 a stock vmax with a polaris clutch might work well on the trail,but in my world a polaris clutch is not stock and the VMAX would get destroyed :?
chrisrider63

re

Post by chrisrider63 »

Oh you cant run the polaris clutches because they arent stock, ok. Im sure it wouldnt get destroyed the polaris clutches are a big improvement...
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

chrisrider63 I hate to break the bad news,but your polaris clutch at a radar run put's you in the Improve class 501-600. The winning speed was 113.3 mph in that class :roll: :roll: ok. Im sure it wouldnt get destroyed the polaris clutches are a big improvement... Wear a full face helmet with a shield because you will need it from eating SNOW DUST :lol: :lol:
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

pre '92 600cc trail sled may be bumped up to pre'99 600cc trail sled. If that happens, maybe I need to sell off this rocket ship and look for a '98 SRX600 !crwdog, I love racing the old VMAX, but it's getting to the point like you said the old VMAX just doesn't have enough speed or hp to run in this 501-600 class!
:cry: :cry:
Undertaker#13

Post by Undertaker#13 »

chrisrider63 why did you put a polaris clutch on?
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

With well over 20 years doing both big and small races, from what I see most all small races, be it drag, radar run or ovals come up with there own rule structure to fit the people they hope to draw. Lets face it, if you enforced ISR class rules at most any local race, 3 things would happen. First, most wouldn't pass even the safety tech. next if you tore down the top 5 in each class for tech, most don't have the knowledge or the tools to tear down their engine, so the end result would be number 3. Next year no one would be at that race, it wouldn't exist anymore because not enough people are serious racers, their trail people looking to just have some fun.
If your serious about racing, there plenty of big series going on and you know and aspect to deal with all the rules and tech.
When it gets down to vintage sleds, I don't see a problem with the P85 clutch, basically the same thing, uses the same parts as a Comet and is easy and cheap for anyone to find. If we get to strict on OEM parts on vintage sleds, suddenly no one has them and can race