My Future Build Brainstorm

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
tyler440

My Future Build Brainstorm

Post by tyler440 »

This is just a spur of the moment idea i have.... im going to keep revising this as i change my mind... you guys can let me know what you think of my ideas....

MOST IMPORTANTLY: MY GOAL!! To be trail rideable but also have enough power to weight + "controlability" to SMOKE newer 600cc powervalved sleds in the open fields and icey roads....

Chassis:first off im going to widen out the where my 84 is now... around 42 inches i believe
---
im going to "swiss cheese" the front frame rails... this loses a little weight and adds a TON of accessibility
---
all plastic belly pan (mostly because the one i have is junk)

Electrical:
im going to relocated the cdi probably behind the chaincase
---
auber dual digital egt guages (steal these from my current 84)
---
led taillight
---
find a better headlight bulb

Brakes:
i'd like to add hydraulic brakes

Drivetrain:
1" lug track of some sorts
---
(96) 1.25" studs (may have to drop the suspension down for this)
---
HIGHER chaincase gearing

Front Suspension:
USI ss railer skis, 6 inch carbide from bergstrom
---
possibly long travel front struts...

Clutching:
p-85 primary clutch
---
secondary to be determined... possibly (newer) yamaha to fit the standard jackshaft

Other:
single fuel pump, single pulse line...
---
stock oil system

i notice i didnt even get into the motor itself... thats is still up in the air in sooo many ways... one thing for sure... it will NOT be stock... at the least it will have updated porting
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
chrisrider63

hi

Post by chrisrider63 »

Would you want me to take pics of my secondary clutch with the jackshaft and everything?? I dont know if its a yamaha jackshaft or polaris but If i could get a set up to put on my SRX 440 it would be nice.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

if you want.... i never say no to pictures... but im not sure if they will tell me the make of the jackshaft....
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Be careful with that swiss cheese plan. Works ok for the drag racers but I see alot of snow X sleds come in with bent or buckeled chassis. I know you won't be that hard on them, but then Snow x sleds are only used for a year or two
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i suppose i can see here you might bend something if you are getting serious hang time... but the vmax doesnt have much suspension for that... we generally keep the skis on the ground.... my 84 "frame rails" already have like 4 big holes drilled them... the real strength is in the boxed part at the top of the and the fact that it ties into the belly pan (at least thats what i think)

agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

not to hijack your thread but i was thinking about doing a custom vmax also their is a 85 in my local swapsheet for 150 bucks with the motor apart. its in great shape but the motor took a dump. and i have a spare motor sitting in my garage. i wanna keep my 83 all original but if i grab this one id like to try some of the things that have been mentioned on here like the wide front end to start seeing how the engine is already out . how much time do you think you spent on that project tyler.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

ill probably work all summer off and on, on it... the widening can be done in a day if you are serious about it.... it is the single best mod in my opinion... you wouldnt be leave how stable my 84 is around turns at speed

chrisrider63

also

Post by chrisrider63 »

Tyler, I put the 81 stator on my v-max and it runs more crisp and hit a little harder...I do miss having the hand warmers though lol.