Justin's 82 SRX 500 Drag Sled

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

Justin wrote:. I did not tell anyone what exactly i was building,It would have raised too many red flags. I read the gray area in the rules like all the Rotax guys do and built a sled to win.
They were released to the public. the Canadians and the Euopeans got theirs first. Recalled befor we could get them. Anyway i looked first, MSDRS rules list it as an A stock snowmobile for drag racing , So mine would be called a Mod Stock 4 sled if we used the old rules, Now it is Mod Stock 500. A TRUE ONE AT THAT> not an over bore 500 rotax that never exsited either! or a 454 rotax tripple port in a rv chassis with a jackshaft and rolled chaincase that never was built either! but they are allowed and your going to kick me out what a bunch of crap. My chassis came from Norway and was sold new to the public. thanks for the concern. This is a very sore subject with me. The rotax guys bend the rules so far They even have some Yamaha guys thinking it is the way it should be. :evil:
Sorry Justin...I didn't mean to pour salt on a open wound here. I just wanted to make sure you checked into this. Before you spent so much money AND time in this sled. Only to find out you might not be able to race it. I have seen that happen in the past to other people.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I see the problems Justin brings up on most all levels except the very top in many forms of racing, sorry but snowmobiles are one of the worst. It is a double edge sword.
I am and have been for many years a Nationally certified Techman in Kart racing, one thing that sets kart racing apart is we are a single purpose type of vehicle. Racing karts are only used for racing, their is no recreational side.
Race promoters put on races for several reasons, not the least of these is to make some money. In local racing, this usually is a fund raiser for a local club. Around here, like most areas in the snow belt there are many races ranging from pretty professional to, well, not so professional. Sometimes it just has to be like that.
Having promoted many kart races on all levels, you have to target your market. I'm a firm believer on serious tech at a race. I also understand that while that might be expected at a pro race, if you scheduled two races at a local lake, and at the end of the first race, if you asked every winner to line up, sit around waiting, then tore their engine and sled apart, by the second race, you would have zero entries. The majority of people at a local race are simply there to have fun, most have no idea how to put their engine back together. Some want to ride it home.
The other side of this, is for the serious racers, expect tech, except to travel to races and expect to spend a butt load of money.
We deal in the 120 classes, the little kids sleds. A front running Champ class sled, with the built engine, special read suspension, custom front end with Fox floats and the billet clutches will cost about 10 K.
Its unfortunate for someone like Justin who is clearly serious about what he is doing to race against people that are bending the rules, but again, if they teched all these people, you probably be racing by yourself.
Years ago when we raced lakes the most common sled was a 440 SnowTwister with 340 stickers. If you had a real 340, you had to have 250 stickers :oops:
Justin

Post by Justin »

Wow it is nice to see a little understanding, we did have perfect set of rules in 1985 For some unknown reason the guys that put on the races now did not use them, so what we have now is chaos, with so much gray area it is hard to see the black print in the middle.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well, like you I am very passionate about both serious racing, and rules. I have been part of many Rues committees in our sport. We write the rules. Often, that end is not what people think but its pretty straight forward as to what people can, and can't do. Enforcement is where it get political. an example would be; Both my son and I are Nationally certified, yet in reality, there are very few places we can tech. The reason is we make our living building race engines. We spend every single day inside these engine, because we see hundreds of them, we can see very easily what or where something has been modified. Of course the problem is people do not want engines builders to be techmen because of the possible conflict of interest. What you usually end up with is maybe a person who has the ability to read a mic or calipers, he does no how to use no go gauges but seldom does he have the practical experience to recognize things like factory machining marks or surface texture to see if things have been alter from stock. In classes that control such things this is huge to pick out things like minor porting or decking the head or cyl's to raise compressiom from factory settings.

Sleds face yet one more very big problem. With so many makes and models over the years, its very hard to come up with a set of rules that keep all these models competitive without making a one brand/model class. We stopped racing our open sled many years ago when the factories came in and put all the money in the stock class. That makes sense because that's what they sell. Most of the serious racer followed the prize money to the stock classes, which also makes sense, and there were few of us with open sleds left. What happened in the stock based classes was, most snowmobilers are brand loyal, but not all brands are competitive in each class. Its common in snow X today to see one brand dominate say the 550 class but maybe not have a player in 600 or 800. Often you end up with entire classes with really only one make and model winning.. That,s what happened with our SRV. It was a very strong sled when introduced and at that time, that was the factory pro stock class, 56 HP. C/Improved rules required you start with factory carb and intake man. 4 years later when the Phazor came out, the SRV with its single carb/ split intake, just couldn't compete with the dual carbed Phazor. We put dual carbs on it and put it back on the trail, no problem to this day eating up Phazers, but under the rules, it wasn't a player. I guess that's just racing
chrisrider63

Hey Justin

Post by chrisrider63 »

The srx looks awesome, did you get the book yet?? I hope it will help out alot, i wanna see all the rotax stratching their heads, and thinkin "man that guy blew my doors off and i dont have the answer" lol
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

have you seen this one ? not an 82 but very well done also. nice job and good luck at the track
91 Vmax sled

Post by 91 Vmax sled »

You can see this on the Yamaha picture area of their site as I know it is on there as well. I put a bid in on this sled when it was on ebay and was bidding with a guy that won the bid last year. He was also up here in Canada by the Soo. It has the NOS as well and it was well put together. It has an older style seat on it so the tunnel looks longer but is still the same size. Their is other pictures of it on the Yamaha picture site as well as the Bender Outlaw sled.

Here is the site the pictures are on
http://www.toizrit.com/yamahabook2.htm

Here is also another guys Drag sled

Keep on Sledding, Mild to Wild
Justin

Post by Justin »

A deal was made and my srx 500 left for Indiana this morning, The new owner plans on racing it also.
chrisrider63

wow

Post by chrisrider63 »

I thought this was like your big project J?? But like they say everything is for sale. Must have got a big offer.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

!?!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! wow! that was such a nice sled... time to start another one??
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
bigdirt500

Post by bigdirt500 »

Im the new owner,and just registered on the site. very excited about my new hot rod 82 srx 500
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

welcome to the site... that is quite the sled you just bought!!!
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Justin

Post by Justin »

It could have not gone to a better home, it was very hard letting it go, and another project is in the mix .
mrviper700

Post by mrviper700 »

well, that didnt last long....:(....
RPM-Technologies- 2 stroke engine performance
crwdog

Post by crwdog »

mrviper700 wrote:well, that didnt last long....:(....

Yea, I see its up for sale again on vintagesleds.com
go fast, turn left..look cool