Justin's 82 SRX 500 Drag Sled

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

no cooling on the motor at all huh? just planning on switching out watter between runs? your ARE serious!!
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Please, Please, Please get some video of that awesome machine running and keep us updated ! Thanks !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
Justin

Post by Justin »

Pics will be coming soon with the NOS 82 srx cover on it. :)
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

with every picture i see more mods...... whats up with that front suspension? im looking forward to making an article about this build
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Looks nice, where are you guys from and where are the races?
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

Great sled!! What kind of HP are you running ,if you are running 10,000 rpms I'm guessing about 121-126,any way good luck and keep us posted!!
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440
Justin

Post by Justin »

You are very close. 8)
vmax-540 wrote:Great sled!! What kind of HP are you running ,if you are running 10,000 rpms I'm guessing about 121-126,any way good luck and keep us posted!!
We will run the vintage ice and grass drags where we can find them.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Tyler, a cooler full of anti freeze and a 12v pump is all you need, it even works in the summer grass drags. never had heat exchangers or a tank on our drag sled. I'm hoping the series he races is around here. put an engine back in our sled for the first time in years. Around here there's no mods left, every body races in Stock and Improved St.

Justin

Post by Justin »

We wanted to race Waconia, but no ice or time to set up sled. Next is Okoboji after that Waseca MN Vintage World Finals We may go to Clear Lake Iowa and run with the new stuff and into Wisconson if they race on a lake setting. 4 weeks in a row starting this weekend.
mrviper700

I like the pics!

Post by mrviper700 »

Thats a very sharp sled Justin, still my favorite body style of the yamahas, it just looks like darth vaders machine. nice job on it!

Now get out there and test,test,it has to run better then it looks after all its likely about the only real 82 srx500 most people will ever see in person!
RPM-Technologies- 2 stroke engine performance
Justin

Post by Justin »

Bob Vehring wrote:Tyler, a cooler full of anti freeze and a 12v pump is all you need, it even works in the summer grass drags. never had heat exchangers or a tank on our drag sled. I'm hoping the series he races is around here. put an engine back in our sled for the first time in years. Around here there's no mods left, every body races in Stock and Improved St.

Nice open mod, open mod sleds that race in our series must have leaf springs, no billet parts, 1982 or older engines. No flat side carbs
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

I'm guessin they wouldn't like the big Blue Bottle then either :twisted:
Vmxhunter

Post by Vmxhunter »

Justin wrote:This sled was built specificly for Mod Stock racing,the circuit we run in is 1982 and older . The rules state that your sled must be matching numbers to be legal for mod stock. example 81 srx with 82 srx motor is not leagal to race. I did run a full mod 77 srx and a 81 srx full mod sleds that looked much like this. The class went from 440 mod stock to 500 mod stock a few years ago, we were on top until guys started boring rotax 454 's to 500cc (not legal ) but they did it anyway. they make nearly 130 hp. then on top of that they would stuff them into RV chassis and build clone blizzards and sno pros now we are giving up weight and hp. . I used pieces and part from all of the years 81-83 to build this sled,
The motor is fully ported and the head has been competely reshaped By Don Pizor out of Ohio it runs Dealughter Built 540 pipes and 48mm clarbs 121 Whal track and skid hand made seat and hood the sled weighs a touch over 300 lbs
We have not had it out yet the ice is bad and I just got the engine back this week.but we are looking for good times my 81 mod runs 5.6 -5.7 sec in 500' My Vmax mod has best run of 5.4 this motor is better than both of the others we are shooting for 5.4-5.3 in 500' on ice. IMHO it will look better winning races than collecting dust.
Did you check with anybody in your sactioning body to see if your 82 SRX will be legal to race (before you started building it)? The reason I ask is. I asume the sleds have to be production based sleds. IF sombody WANTED to raise a stink about your 82. They could say it was never a production sled sold to the general public.

Just wondering how picky they are in your area for the classes.
Justin

Post by Justin »

. I did not tell anyone what exactly i was building,It would have raised too many red flags. I read the gray area in the rules like all the Rotax guys do and built a sled to win.
They were released to the public. the Canadians and the Euopeans got theirs first. Recalled befor we could get them. Anyway i looked first, MSDRS rules list it as an A stock snowmobile for drag racing , So mine would be called a Mod Stock 4 sled if we used the old rules, Now it is Mod Stock 500. A TRUE ONE AT THAT> not an over bore 500 rotax that never exsited either! or a 454 rotax tripple port in a rv chassis with a jackshaft and rolled chaincase that never was built either! but they are allowed and your going to kick me out what a bunch of crap. My chassis came from Norway and was sold new to the public. thanks for the concern. This is a very sore subject with me. The rotax guys bend the rules so far They even have some Yamaha guys thinking it is the way it should be. :evil:
arctic srx 500

Post by arctic srx 500 »

Yes it was sold to the public here in Europe. Norway, Sweden and Finland.How many doesnt nobody know.
There was a problem with them, and all that bought one new in 82 was offered to put some cash between and get a new 83 vmax. Then was the srx500sold to the public without warranty, and many of them got a vmax540 engine in them.

Here is still parts for that sled, Justin did get pistons from me, and also i have restored one back to original with only OEM parts.

Here is still frames and engines, but here is no history about it, just like the srx440. The srx has a great story from other countries, but not here in Norway. Here isnt any vintage races or a enviroment for the old sleds.
Yamaha- the way it should be