dipstick

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
yammihammer

dipstick

Post by yammihammer »

whats the dipstick for on the bottom of the case by the oil tank?Does it need to be changed? Just got done puttin engine together havnt fired it yet the dipstick shows oil where it should be is it a counter balancer or somthing??
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

there is a gear in there that drives the water pump... that oil is gear oil... im not sure if there is really a way to change it besides turning the motor upside down and letting it run out the hole and then filling it back up..... it probably doesnt HAVE to be changed but with a rebuilt topend you might as well cover all of your bases
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
agfirecat

Post by agfirecat »

my 83 has about a 1 inch hole on the bellypan with a door on it that allows me to drain the fluid in my gearcase. through a drain plug im not sure if this was factory or not as i found that my 81 srx does not have it or the drain plug ive got to change the seal in my 81 this week so i may add this feature while the case is out. any body elses have a drain plug ?
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

agfirecat wrote:my 83 has about a 1 inch hole on the bellypan with a door on it that allows me to drain the fluid in my gearcase. through a drain plug im not sure if this was factory or not as i found that my 81 srx does not have it or the drain plug ive got to change the seal in my 81 this week so i may add this feature while the case is out. any body elses have a drain plug ?
Yes, that is what the access panel is for..... Tyler, Tyler,Tyler.... :?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
onebun

Post by onebun »

my 86 540 has a plug on the motor to drain the gear oil but it is in a 81 chassis not sure if theres access to thru the belly pan.