COOL EGT SETUP

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
tyler440

COOL EGT SETUP

Post by tyler440 »

Ok guys so i have this "brilliant" idea for making some awesome EGT gauges for less money that some of the big companies charge. I have been working out the details with the company and they tell me they offer a discount when more than 6 units are bought at a time.... to make these gauges everyone would actually be buying 2 units at a time so i only need interst from 2 other people to get into the "discount zone"

no its time for some links hahaha...

this is the page that has the gauges on it...
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... 4942a66f15

^^read over the website before continuing...^^

when looking at prices be advised that most of the prices if not all do not include sensors..

also notice all of the links at the bottom of that page in blue.....
these instruments seem pretty damn nice... and they can actually do all kinds of things if you program them correctly and use the apprioate sensor....

anyways... i plan on getting 2 of the blue ones and building a tight little box to put them in... then i am going to wire the alarm output to a relay that will ground out the coil, therefore creating a "rev limiter" in the event the exhaust gets too hot.... from what i have seen elsewhere this should be a pretty sweet set up... they only thing these particular boxes lack is the color changing feature of the KOSO ones... but for MUCH less i think it is fair trade off... and besides the possibilities are end less with that alarm output they feature.... you can make it launch the space shuttle if you wanted, im sure you can make it simply light a bigger light too

what do you guys think?.... who's in? if your afraid of building boxs to house them, i or even bob v. in all of his spare time (hahaha) could probably whip something up real fast and for cheap...
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

It looks interesting, the price is sure right.
My SRV has a trusty old,(very old) Westach Dual,been on their for twenty years. I just installed one of our MyChron 3 Gold data systems on the Max. We have 3 of these. Even tho we also have several of the newer MyChron 4 systems, I like the 3 because it has more programmable warning system lights. , don't even have to look at the digital read outs. We have 120 racers using this system and use them on all the karts. Its overkill for the sled, but they just lay around during the winter.
These measure just about everything, RPM, Temps, Speed,( I'm putting that pick up on the jackshaft so I can overlay engine rpm against shaft speed to dial in clutches). It will also display Lateral G force, Longitudinal G force, which should be cool on the SRV because it likes to tip over :) Any of this can be downloaded to a laptop and graphed and plotted against time or distance. If you go onto a closed circuit track it will time and record each lap, even draw an exact picture of the track so you can compare laps. Expensive, but you have to have it if you race.
I would definitely go with the open tip, fast response probes. I have one of each on the Max right now and you really see the difference. If they perform as well as the EGT Brand, that's a great price, I pay over double that. I did only see them with a long wire set on them, I like the 6 in wires so you can just unplug them and take the pipes off. They make extension cable that you just run down to them and they stay on the sled or kart.
I think the relay idea might work as long as its set lower then any temp spikes but I would think about this. If the relay kills the spark, the engine will continue to turn because the belt is still tight in the secondary clutch. If it pumps some gas into the pipes and then if the relay again opens the circuit, and lights the coil up, you may be searching in the woods for your pipe.... and probably your hood.
You might consider this instead. Auto Meter makes those pencil thin LED shift lights for cars, you could wire it to trip that, then just back off.
On the drag sled I used a MSD RPM box to trigger the NOS system. Back then they used changeable chips, today they have dials. The clutch came in at 7000 and the Nitrous came in automatically at 9000.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

hahaha i hadnt thought about dumping all that extra gas into the pipes.... hmmm i will have to think about what that will do....

<5 mins of thinking> :idea:

i dont know if it would really blow off the pipe, because everytime i have plug chopped my sled i have done so at WOT and held it there until the sled came to a stop.... never had any issues restarting after that

bad news for this idea is i think that company is going to want me to become a dealer in order to get the group discount... which i could do... but then ill have to front all kinds of money out of my pocket and hope to hell i can distibute everything to get my money back...

let see a show of hands on people who are serious about buying a setup.... hell if im a dealer for these things ill build the boxes and make some step by step installation instructions... when you get your setup from me, it will be little hole here, little hole there, wire here, wire there, and bam your done, go ride....

like i said before, these units can also be used to measure all kinds of things... i think they are really awesome... the only reason i havent went ahead a bought two is that with you guys' help i might be able to get a discount.... but if no one is as excited as i am before new years i am going to go ahead and pay full price....
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

Just spent $202 on my (hopefully) cool ass EGT setup.... i will of course let you guys know how it works out.....