New question

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
Bob Vehring

New question

Post by Bob Vehring »

Sorry for the brief entry into the political arena, thos guy piss me off. so any way,

Last night I hooked up the head and tail light. Today of course I have no spark, still have the seat to pull to look for problems.Dis conecting the headlight did fix it. My question is, what is the switch for on the side of the headlight, up by the hinge. I do have a blue wire with red tracer that appears to have no place to go.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i believe the switch you are talking about controls when the headlight is on and off... the headlight is only light when its popped up.... if it is down that switch turns it off
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Thats what I thought but I still have no place for the bl/r wire, don't know if every year had this, this isn't the hood that came on the sled.
Also found the no spark problem isn't in the tail light wiring either. Spark was fine since I put engine in, haven't touched anything else
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

yeah i dont know what colors the wires are up there.... if i remember i will look on my 84 and chucks 86 tonight.... i honestly am not familiar with your lack of a spark... gimmie a couple of minutes to read up on it and ill give you a guess hahaha
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

ok either i am looking right over it or im a moron... where did you say you werent getting spark? bring me up to speed hahaha i read too much on the internet and cant keep anything straight anymore....

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Plugs, has been running fine for a bout a week now, didn't touch the engine, hooked up head and tail lights and put a data system on it. Didn't try to start it last night because to many people in the shop. I got out there first today went to start, no spark. Disconnected the light wires even took the EGT probes out of the pipe, nothing, I hate elec, its hard to trouble shoot. I could take the coil and box off the SRV but not sure if they would work, also have a Phazer coil here but if something is causing a problem to thrash these parts, hate to wreck more parts
This thing hasn't learned yet, when something makes me mad, it goes in the shed, and never comes back out. This things close
As always, thanks for helping
onebun

Post by onebun »

ya bob mines close to going in the shed too!!!!!!ha,ha ha,but me love for the vmax prevails!!! I had a problem with the plug for the kill switch on the bars. if i unplugged it i had spark plug it in no spark,did you go over your electrical wire for wire on the bench when the motor was out? good luck johnny
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

well i suppose the first place to check would be the stator... then you should be able to swap out the coil... just double check all of the connections.... i have seen where those bullet type ones will not be tight enough.... we actually had a guy get mad enough that he loaded up and brought his sled to us so we could swap out parts... i took his cdi off and tightened up the female ends with pliers... then plugged a different one in... it worked!... then i plugged the original one in and it worked too! thats my thoughts for now... if that doesnt fix it then check your switches.... you can unplug tether, key and kill switch and it should still have spark.... those three switches just complete the circut to ground.... look for worn wires also of course....

tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

Just looked at our vmaxs and there are only two wires on that head light switch... One is blue with red and the other is plain blue.... Still not sure what wire you are seeing....

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Yes I have those two wires coming off the switch, and 3 to the bulb The plug coming out of the bellypan, going to the wiring for the light has no bl/red, the only connections are the three for the bulb and one blue..
Now heres a dumb question. I had the engine out before, painted the engine compartment. I also of course had the engine on the bench. I don't remember seeing a CDI box anywhere. I don't find any plugs left over and the thing has been running for a week. it also ran last year.
BTW I now have pulled apart the covers on the bars and to get to the key switch, all are disconnected, still no spark. Hooked up a coil that came off a Phaser again no spark. I also cleaned the wires in the front of the engine and re conected, you guessed it, nothing.
I'm about ready to push it out side, watch it rot into the ground, drive over it with the motorhome, then light the remaining parts on fire. My wife says I have " anger management issues", what do you guys think?
onebun

Post by onebun »

I think your like alot of the rest of us and want your project to run mint and haul ass as well as look good!!did you check stator ohms?good luck!
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

well the actual cdi is behind the motor right around the water pump.... one clue might be to pull the rope and have someone look very closely at the headlight... i believe it should dimly light (not positve on that but if it does then you can moslty rule out a bad ground) im starting to run out of ideas sort of inspecting every single wire and connection and swapping out the cdi.....

does everyone else agree that swapping out the coil with a phaser one shouldnt matter?

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

The phaser coil did work on my SRV when trouble shooting that last year, I did find another SRV coil for that. Is there a place where the ohm readings are listed, that is next but I need the numbers and wire colors.
I understand what your saying about the headlight, right now mines disconected, I did thing the the the lights used a different coil on the crank then the firing system, not really sure on these tho.
Regan and I went over every wire on the sled last night, just can't find a problem. Will try the ohm test if I can get the numbers but if its either the box or the stator, can't aford either now, have to save every penny for the Daytona trip, need to leave by the weekend and all 4 karts were taking are still apart.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Are the spec's for the ohm readings the same from the chart on the '86 page the same for '83?
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

yeah i believe the readings should be the same...... oh wait on second thought maybe not.... the source coil should be the same but the lighting coil maybe different and when checking coils on a 83 you wont find the handwarmer coil because it doesnt have one...

the 83-84(?) had the handwarmers on the lighting coil... i dont have any manuals in front of me right now to double check the 83 specs

i think you already found this but ill throw a link on here just for the hell of it (and for people who might actually search and find this thread)
http://www.vintagevmax.com/1986_service.htm