My V-max WITH PICS.....

Use this area to post pictures of your current restoration, modification, or collaboration.
scooter141

My V-max WITH PICS.....

Post by scooter141 »

I was going to take pics but, its dark outside so took down info instead....

1983 V-max.
1978.7 miles
PSI pipes
44 or 45 mm Mikuni's (converted from inches to 44.6mm)
Comet clutch
Long track, +8inch extended "swingarm".

I am not sure on the bore size yet, but it has been Ported and Pollished. Looks like its mild, not full race port.

Willl try to get pics asap....

THANKS, Todd S.
Last edited by scooter141 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Todd, sounds like a very cool 540, can't wait to see some pictures of the long track !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
scooter141

Post by scooter141 »

Ok here are some pics of the sled itself......

tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

hmmmm with that SLP sticker and the 44.6mm carbs im real curious to see what the bore size is.... it might be a big bore....let me know
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
scooter141

Post by scooter141 »

Ohhh its a BIG BORE all right.....

Check it out, 77mm stock is 73mm (i think).
Wiseco is a no, I emailed SLP, cant wait to hear what they say.
L.A. Sleeve makes a sleeve, so going back to stock is an option. Or buy different Cylinders.

Todd S.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

SLP had nothing for me 3 weeks ago.... who knows maybe a different guy will answer your email and know of some stuff laying around..... the pistons i have for my big bore say VENOLIA on them... i contacted them and they said they didnt know the specs on the piston from any of thier books but they could copy the one i have for "no more than $150 a piece".... maybe if we are ordering 4 together we would get a better deal than that...

are you bores junk? that you are thinking of going back to stock bore....

looks like maybe a 108 clutch laying there in the belly pan?

if you do decide to go to stock bore i would be pretty interested in buying those carbs off of you....

where are you located?
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

also are your carb flanges machined to point the carbs away from eachother?
are thier any markings on the head or cylinders?

thanks

scooter141

Post by scooter141 »

tyler440 wrote:SLP had nothing for me 3 weeks ago.... who knows maybe a different guy will answer your email and know of some stuff laying around..... the pistons i have for my big bore say VENOLIA on them... i contacted them and they said they didnt know the specs on the piston from any of thier books but they could copy the one i have for "no more than $150 a piece".... maybe if we are ordering 4 together we would get a better deal than that...

are you bores junk? that you are thinking of going back to stock bore....

looks like maybe a 108 clutch laying there in the belly pan?

if you do decide to go to stock bore i would be pretty interested in buying those carbs off of you....

where are you located?

also are your carb flanges machined to point the carbs away from eachother?
are thier any markings on the head or cylinders?
I might resleeve them or try to find different cylinders, not sure yet.

Yea it some sort of Comet clutch, not surer if its a "108"?

I am in Oklahoma.

Not sure on the carb flanges, havent seen it togather in a long time......

I got the Pipes bead blasted today and repainted. Yea ! ! ! ! !

TODD S.
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well if your in Ok, you got all the snow.
On pistons, I had a friend that used to use Rotax 670 pistons in a bigbore SRV, We looked in to that for my VM and think I will eventually go that way, right now I just put the engine back together stock because I ran out of time.
Many engines, whatever the brand use a common pin bore size and compression height is close. Might just take some trimming to the skirt to find something that will work, but again, I'm not that far along yet. My friend builds race engines for the oval sleds, we build them for the 120 sleds We never get to work on our own stuff once Jan. hits
scooter141

Post by scooter141 »

Bob Vehring wrote:Well if your in Ok, you got all the snow.
Hah, I am in the "armpit" of Oklahoma. Right at the start of the Panhandle, Woodward Okalhoma. We didnt get squat for snow, mabey 1 in, but we had 40-50 MPH winds with it,so it went south fast...

I am going to call La sleeve monday and see what they say, and go from there.
scooter141

Post by scooter141 »

Well, I got a bottom end with crank. THANKS BRAD ! ! ! ! !

I found two sleeves on ebay for $45 each. Sweet deal.

I am starting to peice her back together.

Todd S.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

if your putting it back together as a straight up 540 your not going to want those carbs... let me know what kind of deal you would like to strike up... ive got carbs or cash

scooter141

Post by scooter141 »

Awww, come on now, I am not retarded. This thing is ported, polished, and has pipes. I know these are bigger than they need be with stock bore, but I will just loose bottom end power and replace it with a CRAP load of top end.

I raced amateur Motocross ( over 30 ) and Arenacross (250 and 450 int) for better than 10 years. This aint my first day riding.

Not flameing, I just think she'll run ok. Now I have been WAY WRONG before, so I'll get her going and see if I can get her to running right. If it sucks, I will say sorry, like a man, and sell/trade you carbs. :lol:

Todd S.
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i was being serious... you might find it flows better with them (every set up behaves different.... let me root around here for a bit and ill find the article that says the 38's flow the best, i may also prove myself wrong.... your starting to make me second guess myself)

scooter141

Post by scooter141 »

Well what is the stock carb size? I dont think I ever knew.....

Todd S.