Bought my first V-Max

Get your questions answered here! Also be courteous and answer any you may know. Its a give and take kinda thing, we think you'll enjoy!
standupjetski_com

Bought my first V-Max

Post by standupjetski_com »

Hey Everyone!
I'm picking up an 83 V-Max tomorrow. I found this ad on craigslist http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/253337224.html
He was asking $500 but I low-balled him $350 and he accepted the offer. The sled is in pretty good shape and is only missing the windshield.
83 V-Max
96 Superjet
89 650sx
73 240 Weekender
http://www.standupjetski.com
Nye Racing #13

Vmax

Post by Nye Racing #13 »

8) 8) Welcome to the Vmax club!! You will love the Vmax, I have never had a sled that flyies like the old Vmax :lol: :lol:

Post by Guest »

Hey Thanks

I'm super anxious to test it out. It may be a while though, we had another day in minneapolis in the 40s. I've got the sled all ripped apart and am happy so far with my purchase. I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs and changing out the gearcase oil. This is the 6th sled I've owned and always enjoy workin on 'em just as much as riding. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

$300.00 Good Deal ! I also, enjoy working on sleds (just not on the trail which is why I like Yamaha's) :) Change your Chain case lube ! Let's see some pictures !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
standupjetski_com

I'll get some pics up in a bit. I'll maybe make a page on my website http://www.standupjetski.com
Its all ripped apart right now, but it'll be goin back together today (hopefully).

It ran great and the guy told me he went through the carbs. I've cleaned probably 100 carbs in my life and have never seen more gummed up carbs...well maybe once.

I'll let ya know when the pics are up.
83 V-Max
96 Superjet
89 650sx
73 240 Weekender
standupjetski_com

I got a little bit done today but it is still all apart.

go here for pics http://www.standupjetski.com/vmax.htm

Anybody know off hand a ballpark for my idle adjustment screws. One was at 3.5 turns, the other at 6. I put them at 4.5 turns out for now.
83 V-Max
96 Superjet
89 650sx
73 240 Weekender
Vmax540

Post by Vmax540 »

Not sure on the # of turns but both should be even and warmed to operating temp set to 1500 RPM's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
snowball_1

airscrew adjustment

Post by snowball_1 »

My yamaha VMX540N manual shows two different settings for the idle airscrew adjustment 1/2 plus or minus 1/4, or 1.0 plus or minus 1/4. either way it is less than you have set yours.
standupjetski_com

Thanks,
I was talking about the screws to adjust idle. I found 5 turns out to be about right. That info you gave comes in handy though...both air screws were set at 1.5 turns from the guy I got it from. I'll turn them in 1/4 turn and go from there.
83 V-Max
96 Superjet
89 650sx
73 240 Weekender
vaportrail

Advice

Post by vaportrail »

I would immediately disable the oil injection system and mix your fuel. Loop some lines together so the oil pump just pumps round and round so you don't have to worry about it burning up. If you continue to use the oil injection system. You will burn pistons. Just a matter of time.
M
Nye Racing #13

Re: Advice

Post by Nye Racing #13 »

vaportrail wrote:I would immediately disable the oil injection system and mix your fuel. Loop some lines together so the oil pump just pumps round and round so you don't have to worry about it burning up. If you continue to use the oil injection system. You will burn pistons. Just a matter of time.
M
8) vaportrail I agree with ya!! I have premixed mine since a factory Yamaha rep said to premix. I have done this since the early 90's and the Vmax has never missed a BEAT!!
standupjetski_com

what ratio do you mix it. I run amsoil synthetic.
83 V-Max
96 Superjet
89 650sx
73 240 Weekender
opsled

Post by opsled »

Hi, I am not an expert and most of what I know comes from experience or listening to those who I know have more experence than me but I'm not sure why alot of you want to unhook your oil injection and premix your fuel. I premix race sleds but not trail sleds. I have owned and worked on alot of Yamaha's over the years including Vmax 540's and have never seen an oil injection related failure that could be blamed on the design of the system. I have seen water in the oil tank on early 440 Exciters that got in from a crack in the tank under the tube that holds it down. It was over tightened by the owner and cracked the tank. I have seen the control cable come out of the throttle block on models that are set up that way. They were caused by either broken thumb levers from a roll over improper removal and installation by the owner. I have seen improper adjustment, bleeding, oil, oil line, line routing, clamps, fittings, old line, ect all cause or about to cause failure. I have never seen a properly serviced and maintained system fail. Most failures I see are fuel related. The service manual for the Vmax 540 doesn't have fuel requirments in it but the dealer we have here (he has been selling Yamaha's since the early 70's) says when they came out they were supposed to be run on regular gasoline with a minimum octain rating of 93 or above. That type of fuel is not available at the pumps anymore and alot of areas like mine have reformulated fuel with additives that are killers for engines like these. Most of the guys around here who know what these older engines need will drive out of the reformulated area and buy premium fuel and alot will mix it with race fuel or aviation fuel depending on the engine. The last premix machine Yamaha made was the 79 SRX. The manual required regular gasoline with 93 octain or above mixed with Yamaha Lube at a 15 to 1 ratio. With new oils people are trying to run 40 or 50 to 1 ratios and I don't know if that is good or not. To me the bottom line is that the engine doesn't know whether you premix or not but it will let you know when you get it wrong. I would rather use better fuel, more oil than required and maby change spark plugs once and a while than deal with burnt up engines.
Good Luck and sorry for being so windy, Phil (opsled)
vmax-540

Post by vmax-540 »

I agree , for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would unhook the oil injection pumps on these or any other sled for that matter ,they are as bullet proof as it gets. I have worked in machine shops sense the late 70"s that repair a lot of cylinders and cranks for dealers in this area and I have never seen or heard of a engine going down from a bad oil pump , that is about the only thing that hasn't blown a motor.The one thing that I would do is move the oil lines that go into the fuel lines before the fuel pumps and put them into the rubber intake flanges so that there is no lag time between the oil pump and the rpm of the motor, you came get these from Bender Racing they sell them as a conversion kit for the 570 Exciters . My 81 SRX & 83 Vmax still have the oil pumps hooked up and have never had a problem !

:? : :?
[/b]
JEFFERY M FOURNIER

SLEDS
83 VMAX 540
81 SRX 440

Post by Guest »

[quote="opsled"]Hi, I am not an expert and most of what I know comes from experience or listening to those who I know have more experence than me but I'm not sure why alot of you want to unhook your oil injection and premix your fuel. I premix race sleds but not trail sleds. I have owned and worked on alot of Yamaha's over the years including Vmax 540's and have never seen an oil injection related failure that could be blamed on the design of the system. I have seen water in the oil tank on early 440 Exciters that got in from a crack in the tank under the tube that holds it down. It was over tightened by the owner and cracked the tank. I have seen the control cable come out of the throttle block on models that are set up that way. They were caused by either broken thumb levers from a roll over improper removal and installation by the owner. I have seen improper adjustment, bleeding, oil, oil line, line routing, clamps, fittings, old line, ect all cause or about to cause failure. I have never seen a properly serviced and maintained system fail. Most failures I see are fuel related. The service manual for the Vmax 540 doesn't have fuel requirments in it but the dealer we have here (he has been selling Yamaha's since the early 70's) says when they came out they were supposed to be run on regular gasoline with a minimum octain rating of 93 or above. That type of fuel is not available at the pumps anymore and alot of areas like mine have reformulated fuel with additives that are killers for engines like these. Most of the guys around here who know what these older engines need will drive out of the reformulated area and buy premium fuel and alot will mix it with race fuel or aviation fuel depending on the engine. The last premix machine Yamaha made was the 79 SRX. The manual required regular gasoline with 93 octain or above mixed with Yamaha Lube at a 15 to 1 ratio. With new oils people are trying to run 40 or 50 to 1 ratios and I don't know if that is good or not. To me the bottom line is that the engine doesn't know whether you premix or not but it will let you know when you get it wrong. I would rather use better fuel, more oil than required and maby change spark plugs once and a while than deal with burnt up engines.
Good Luck and sorry for being so windy, Phil (opsled)
Image[/quot

:shock: I don't trail ride mine it just gets raced 8) I was told at our local Yamaha shop by a Yamaha factory rep to unhitch the oil injection pump. I have premixed and raced this sled since the early 90's and have never had a plug or engine issue! My sled just turned 3000 miles and is do for a set of rings? I have decided to hand out crying TOWELS skip the Rings!! :lol: :lol: people just don't understand why these old sleds still HAUL!!